Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

Alternative to grass , suggestions please

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
xobten
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Alternative to grass , suggestions please Reply with quote

Hi all,

First time poster so please be gentle with me !

I have a typically small housing estate semi-d garden approx 40 ft long by 25ft wide. I've recently had an extension added to the house and as a result had to relocate the deck down to the end of the garden.long story short,I have a section running down along the garden wall allongside the deck which I need to cover.The area involved is around 18ft long and varies in width from 3ft to 1ft to 4ft along it's length.

The garden,when all is finished will have a japanese gardenesque look to it (hopefully !) I've raised the soil level in a few places,creating mounds on which I will have several japanese maples planted,some of which were originally bonsai trees.Ideally I would like to plant grass along which in an ideal would I would be able to keep VERY short but alas,that is not possible because I would never be able to get a mower in to cut it , so, grass is out.

So,what's a good alternative to grass ! I have been looking at Sagina subulata(pearlwort, Irish moss, Sagine) but I have reservations about it.In some pictures I've found online it looks perfect for my purpose,as in the picture, but in others,when it's flowering,it just looks like a tangle of clover !

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sag1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.28 KB
 Viewed:  3086 Time(s)

Sag1.jpg

Last edited by xobten on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi xopten, welcome to the forum.
First of all, you've published a copyright photograph. I hope you have permission?
Secondly, there is a thread on the forum where the author was enquiring about a source of this. It may be worthwhile reading it and getting together on it. I personally haven't used or even heard of the stuff, it being a relatively new thing on the market, but I'm sure it will make very interesting reading.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
xobten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liparis wrote:
Hi xopten, welcome to the forum.
First of all, you've published a copyright photograph. I hope you have permission?
Secondly, there is a thread on the forum where the author was enquiring about a source of this. It may be worthwhile reading it and getting together on it. I personally haven't used or even heard of the stuff, it being a relatively new thing on the market, but I'm sure it will make very interesting reading.
Bill.

Woops,I'd never thought of the copyright issue,can I edit the post and change the picture ? - Edit : Never mind !

I'll try to track down the other post you mentioned,thanks.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only mention the copyright part because my own Website kept running out of bandwidth and closing, it turned out to be excessive copyright theft via hot-linking. So I know the hardships caused. Some people, probably like yourself, do it without thinking, but others do it for profit and gain, with hot-linking being the most vicious of the lot.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: