Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Reseeding Lawn (Advices)

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
AG01
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reseeding Lawn (Advices) Reply with quote

Hi,

I'v read through the links and the forum but cannot seem to find a solution to my problem(s)

I moved into a new build in October 2007 and the grass grown had too much moss / weeds so I used weed and feed and it killed large parts of the lawn off.

I'v dug the whole garden up by spade (in the last couple of weeks), removed all of the large rocks and debris and have turned the grass over (down around 1 foot to use as compost) and now have a 3m x 9m garden of soil.

The soil was dead, hence why it did not grow the grass, drainage and soil is not too bad.

Question(s)

- How much topsoil should I get, arount 1 tonne ?
- How much would this or how much I need will cost ?
- After I put down the topsoil, do I then get a roller /
- After that, how much fresh manure and seed should I put down ?
- Then do I just rake all of it through the soil ?
- How much seed would I need for a high quality lawn
- What brand would you reccomend for an east facing lawn ?
- Should I put any sand in the soil ?

Thanks in advance.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 tonne won't go far, or will it? How many tons are in a metric tonne? Confused
Before deciding how much you should order, you need to look at what you have, then decide on how much of a topsoil your quality of subsoil needs, your going to need at least 3" but if it's very poor, then you will need more. That's really an eyes-on-decission. You then need to order your topsoil by the cubic metre so you know you have enough.
Cost will depend on supplier as well as quality, everyones price can vary a great deal from each other, screened topsoil is probably the most expensive but will do the better job. so you need to shop around for it.
After the topsoil is down you can get a roller and roll it, or do the "gardeners shuffle", use your feet in shuffling steps really firming down as you go, rake it and repeat the excercise at 90 degrees to the first, then repeat again. Great fitness excercise.
Seed is usually around 2oz per sq yd if you want it thick. Type of seed, go for one that does well in some shade and is hard wearing, you will see on the packs where they should be used.
sand, you can, but again it depends on type and quality of topsol, but it wouldn't go wrong.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reseeding Lawn (Advices) Reply with quote

AG01 wrote:
Hi,

I'v read through the links and the forum but cannot seem to find a solution to my problem(s)

I moved into a new build in October 2007 and the grass grown had too much moss / weeds so I used weed and feed and it killed large parts of the lawn off.

I'v dug the whole garden up by spade (in the last couple of weeks), removed all of the large rocks and debris and have turned the grass over (down around 1 foot to use as compost) and now have a 3m x 9m garden of soil.

The soil was dead, hence why it did not grow the grass, drainage and soil is not too bad.

Question(s)

- How much topsoil should I get, arount 1 tonne ?
- How much would this or how much I need will cost ?
- After I put down the topsoil, do I then get a roller /
- After that, how much fresh manure and seed should I put down ?
- Then do I just rake all of it through the soil ?
- How much seed would I need for a high quality lawn
- What brand would you reccomend for an east facing lawn ?
- Should I put any sand in the soil ?

Thanks in advance.

At least half of your questions are answered in this sticky posted at the top of the lawn section How to sow a lawn from grass seed in Ireland-Lawn Hints/Tips
Read it, or reread it for the answers.
Liparis has also offered some good insight there as well.

AG01 wrote:

When you say the soil was dead but not too bad, how do you mean?

AG01 wrote:

How much topsoil should I get, arount 1 tonne ?

Liparis is right to talk about volume rather than weight with regards to the topsoil.
As a rough indicator of what you will require, take this as a guide...... to cover 3m x 9m with a 3 inch depth of soil will require 2 to 2.5 cubic metres of soil.
Topsoil wet/dry can weigh anything from 1 to 2 tonnes per cubic metre.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
AG01

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reseeding Lawn (Advices) Reply with quote

Liparis wrote:

Bill.

Cheers for all of that mate.

[quote="GPI"]
AG01 wrote:
Hi,

At least half of your questions are answered in this sticky posted at the top of the lawn section How to sow a lawn from grass seed in Ireland-Lawn Hints/Tips

AG01 wrote:

When you say the soil was dead but not too bad, how do you mean?

AG01 wrote:

How much topsoil should I get, arount 1 tonne ?

Liparis is right to talk about volume rather than weight with regards to the topsoil.
As a rough indicator of what you will require, take this as a guide...... to cover 3m x 9m with a 3 inch depth of soil will require 2 to 2.5 cubic metres of soil.
Topsoil wet/dry can weigh anything from 1 to 2 tonnes per cubic metre.

Soil was dead on top (kind of mossy and slimey) and nothing would grow on it, but I have dug down around 1 foot and turned all of my grass so I have just soil now - I thought it was much worse than it was - but since I'v self rotavated it it's not too bad.

How much manure should I use / not use ? I'v access to large amounts of it (fresh) ?
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a general fertiliser at manufacturers recommended rate, manure is likely to import weed seeds etc.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
AG01

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liparis wrote:
Go for a general fertiliser at manufacturers recommended rate, manure is likely to import weed seeds etc.
Bill.

Oh this would be fresh as can be.. ie straight from the source as it "falls" if you get me..

Would that be ok ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: