Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn Care and Maintenance rules for Ireland

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Lawn Care and Maintenance rules for Ireland Reply with quote

Lawn Care and Maintenance
By Peter Turner

Lawns are wrongly regarded as a low maintenance part of the garden - they can be low maintenance, but not if you want them to look good.
What follows is a range of tips and advice on how to maintain your lawn in tip top condition.

Mow regularly

Many problems can occur due to the grass being left too long between cuts and then being cut too short.
If at all possible cut grass as soon as it is about half an inch (12 mm) longer than the length you are aiming for. For a general purpose lawn it is best to keep it to a length of about 1¼ in (35 mm) during Spring and Autumn and reduced to approx 1 in (25 mm) in Summer.
A fine quality lawn whose main purpose in life is to be admired rather than walked on can be trimmed to ¾ in (20 mm) in Spring and Autumn and as short as ½ in (15 mm) in Summer.

Feeding

Lawns can be fed as soon as they start actively growing in early Spring i.e. late March to April to maintain vigour and to ensure grasses leave no room for weeds and moss.
Use a Spring/Summer lawn food. If you are removing the clippings from your lawn then it is particularly important to feed throughout the growing season every six to eight weeks.
Autumn feed must be with a specific Autumn lawn food that is high in phosphates and potash and low in nitrogen to encourage strong root growth rather than leaf growth.

Raking (scarifying)
It is essential to scarify the lawn.
This just means raking the grass really vigorously to get rid of all the dead matter that builds up.
Use a spring-tine rake for smaller areas or invest in a mechanical scarifier.

Aeration

Lawns can become compacted, particularly where there is heavy traffic to and from one part of the garden to another.
Compaction leads to poor drainage and this can encourage moss. Small areas can be aerated by inserting a garden fork into the lawn at regular intervals. However this can become tiresome if you have a large area and a simple manual push aerator will greatly speed up the process.
A well aerated lawn will allow water and nutrients to get down to the roots of the grass where they are needed.

Repairs

The best time for repairing or sowing lawns, or laying new turf is in the Autumn when the soil temperature remains high and there is adequate moisture to promote growth.
Rake areas of existing lawn to be repaired thoroughly to loosen the surface and remove dead matter.
An ideal way to provide a fine tilth for grass seed is to use a garden riddle to sieve dry topsoil/compost over the worn patch before sprinkling the seed evenly.

Moss control
Use a proprietary moss killer to get rid of moss - it is inevitable that the lawn will look worse before it looks better as the moss dies and turns brown.
Once the moss has died you will need to rake the lawn to get rid of the dead moss and any other dead matter.
Moss in lawns is an indication of a problem - probably poor drainage - see aeration above - or poor soil condition which can be, to some degree, rectified by regular feeding.

Should cuttings be collected?

Cuttings are a pain especially if the grass is regularly walked on as they are easily trailed in to the house - and they look unsightly.
However leaving cuttings on the lawn is a great way to return some of the nutrients to the lawn as they break down and compensate for the continuous removal of soil nutrients.
Many mowers now mulch the cuttings specifically for this purpose and it will benefit the lawn greatly if you can leave the cuttings on there for at least part of the year.

Lawn Renovation
If you have inherited a lawn in very poor condition with large worn areas, infestation of perennial weeds, and largely the coarser long-stemmed wiry grasses then perhaps the answer is to remove the top, cultivate the soil, prepare a new seed bed (or base for turf) and start afresh.
There are though few areas of grass that cannot be renovated into a lush green area, be it for playing on, relaxing on, or as a background to the plants in your borders. Of course if you have your heart set on a very lush green sward consisting solely of the finest blades you not only need to start from scratch but you are looking forward to a rigorous maintenance programme as described above. For most of us a general purpose lawn with an attractive carpet of grass that acts as a perfect foil for flowering plants as well as somewhere to relax and play is what we are after.
This type of lawn can even be created from almost any starting point so whatever grass you have inherited could be turned into a reasonably attractive lawn with a little effort - and by that I mean much less effort than creating an entirely new lawn from scratch!

Creating a lawn from a patch of rough grass
The first step to renovating a patch of rough grass into a lawn starts with mowing.
Assuming the surface of the lawn is also rough, this is best done with a rotary type of mower that will also cope with couch grass. Do not try to cut the grass short in a single cut but instead try not to reduce the height of the grass by more than a third of its height at one cut. Long grass is usually best cut without a collecting box but do remember to rake up the mown grass. Once you are able to cut the grass shorter you may discover bumps and hollows indicated by patches of scalped lawn and longer grass. The worst of these can be dealt with by cutting with a spade or half-moon edging iron across the centre of the peak or hollow. Cut either side of the bump or hollow at right angles to this centre cut and to both side of the first cut so you can slide the spade under the turf in order to roll it back like a piece of carpet on either side of the bump or depression. Now you can either remove soil or add soil as required to level the area before gently tamping the turf back into place. Larger depressions can be treated by vigorously raking before sprinkling a sifted layer of soil or soil/compost to fill the depression before sowing seed. Once you are able regularly to mow the grass reasonably closely you will also find that many of the weeds disappear. The very best way to get rid of troublesome perennial weeds is with a weeding tool made for the purpose that you slide under the roots of e.g. buttercups or dandelions so you can prise them out; the small gap will soon disappear.
If you insist on a lawn without anything other than grass growing in it then you may need to use a selective weed and/or moss treatment but remember moss is usually a sign of other problems and it is best to deal with the causes of moss first - see above.

Dealing with weeds in the lawn
An area of rough grass can rapidly become a pleasing lawn and the time and effort required after the initial effort depends largely on whether you can tolerate clover, daisies and buttercups in your lawn.
Although buttercups are attractive they are so invasive it is best to get rid of them. The regular application of a good weed and feed mixture is by far the best way to get rid of daisies, buttercups and clover. It is entirely possible to have a modestly acceptable lawn by doing no more than mowing regularly, collecting the grass, and feeding in spring and autumn.
However such a lawn is likely to slowly deteriorate and all areas of grass benefit from additional maintenance as described above.

Peter Turner is a resident of the East Riding of Yorkshire in England and has been gardening for more than 35 years with varying degrees of success. He maintains the garden advice and supplies web site: http://www.digthatgarden.co.uk/

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
sdietz
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Thank you. Reply with quote

Great information. Thanks for passing it on!
katana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks for this great post Reply with quote

Many thanks for this post .It answered a lot of questions that I had . I have a very large grass area and it's taking all my free time --but it's worth it Very Happy Very Happy
Vegeta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post answered a lot of questions for me too. Thank you.
brennka

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: What conditions do I need to use the moss killer I have? Reply with quote

I have bought a moss killer for an area of the lawn that is particularly moss ridden. I was going to spread this at the weekend, however the reports are that it is going to be very sunny. Can I continue, or do I have to wait for forecasted rain?
Thanks

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What conditions do I need to use the moss killer I have? Reply with quote

Quote:
the reports are that it is going to be very sunny. Can I continue, or do I have to wait for forecasted rain?
Thanks

If you fertilise and rain has not fallen for 48 hours after spreading you should really think about watering the grass to wash down some of the salty fertiliser from grass blade to soil.
Leaving it to sit on the blade can lead to scorching.
Otherwise, time your feed to the weather forecasts, aiming for rain within 2 to 3 days.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
brennka

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help,
I'm sure it will rain on Bank Holiday weekend, I'll wait until then Very Happy
Rocket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add my thanks for this thread. I have just begun trying to sort out my front lawn and by the looks of it I will be seeding a new one.

I won't attempt the same on the backlawn simply because of its size. But now I know what to do and why, I hope to make it far better than it is at present.
sgmgarden
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this guide with us all! I am sure it will have helped many people. Very easy to understand and follow, thanks again!
OscarKane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: