Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello everybody

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sunflower from the west
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Hello everybody Reply with quote

Greetings to all.

We have moved from Dublin to the West last September. We have gone from a 30foot garden to 7 acres. Any tips or ideas for the acres would be greatful.

Thanks

Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I'd plant the seven acres with trees if I were you. I've planted most of my place. Trees and timber are the crops of the future. Also, keep back an acre for apple trees (you'll be able to make your own cider) and a half-acre or so for vegetables. Smile
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Trees are the way of the future Reply with quote

Sunflower, I totally agree with Seán Ph'Lib. Allow some distance from the house to the south and the west to let sunshine in and keep wind out from what will be your cottage garden. Start the tree-planting furthest from the house. Work back towards the house over the next five years Start with bullet-proof windbreak shrubs to the southwest and work up to coniferous (if you must) then decids. and eventually fruit trees. (Fruit crops best in plenty sun and rain and no wind.)
sunflower from the west

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. Yep, I thinks trees are the way to go. We have 3 acres beside our cottage and a further 4 acres that is beside a river. I am growing veg & fruit at the moment. I am growing reeds to use as fuel for the stove. I did have 3 tomatoe plants in glasshouse but now I am down to two thanks to the slugs Sad .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: