Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Coillte buying your trees service

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
evoke
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Coillte buying your trees service Reply with quote

Hello,
Does coillte have a service where you can call them to cut down your trees. Like if you have an acre of Oak. Would they come around and give you a price for the oak. Then cut it down for you and take it away.

I know they have that in england.

Does anyone know about this for coillte?

Thinking about doing oak but it will take so many years to be worth anything. Maybe some thing faster like willow or pine. Anyone got an experience with coillte?

Thanks
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a TV repeat of Grand Designs yesterday, not sure how old it was, but the presenter was talking to a man who was cutting and supplying oak for timber frames, and he was selling 150-year old trees for about £150 each. I was shocked at how little the trees were worth.
Check the market for ash.....I think we are short of the wood and it's needed for making hurleys.
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Coillte buying your trees service Reply with quote

evoke wrote:
Hello,
Does coillte have a service where you can call them to cut down your trees. Like if you have an acre of Oak. Would they come around and give you a price for the oak. Then cut it down for you and take it away.

I know they have that in england.

Does anyone know about this for coillte?

Thinking about doing oak but it will take so many years to be worth anything. Maybe some thing faster like willow or pine. Anyone got an experience with coillte?

Thanks

As far as i know there are grant for growing tree and hardwoods like oak get more money

Grants and Premiums Explained
Written by Donal Keegan, Forest Service, Galway
Thursday, 03 July 2003

The Forest Service of the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources is the State body with overall responsibility for forestry in Ireland. The Forest Service oversees the spending of EU financial supports for forestry. It is also responsible for the promotion of private forestry, for forest protection, control of felling and the promotion of research in forestry and forest produce.

Since 1981, a number of financial support programmes for private forestry, mainly funded by EU support, have greatly increased the level of afforestation in the country. This support for forestry continues in the new CAP Afforestation Scheme 2000-2006 under the Rural Development Plan. The two most important financial incentives for forestry are the Afforestation Grant Scheme and the Forestry Premium Scheme. These schemes are part of the accompanying measures to the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and support the afforestation of agricultural land.

The Afforestation Grant Scheme
The Afforestation Grant is cost based and is designed to cover all the actual costs of establishing a plantation. As it normally takes four years to fully establish a plantation, this grant is paid in two instalments, up to 75% of the full grant after the initial work is completed, and the remaining 25% after four years, provided that the plantation is satisfactorily established. These two payments of the Afforestation Grant are referred to respectively as the First Instalment Grant and the Second Instalment Grant.
rest of details in link below
http://www.thefarmforest.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=54

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting that they pay more for beech - is it more expensive to plant beech? or is the grant based on the eventual value of the crop?
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain to me about these afforestation grants.Does it mean that coillte have rights to the trees when they are mature.Or are they owned by the landowner.Im sure that i understand where they get their money back
Belfast

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy mac wrote:
Can anyone explain to me about these afforestation grants.Does it mean that coillte have rights to the trees when they are mature.Or are they owned by the landowner.Im sure that i understand where they get their money back

As far as I know there is an yearly grants for looking after them until they are mature.
evoke

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to get my uncle to plant trees on his land. The grants would a great incetive for him to do it.

For oak the total grant is €6348. Is that what you recieve over 4 years or one year of the 4 years?

Do you get to sell your trees after 4 years or is that what the grant pays for?

You grow the trees for 4 years and then chop them down. Then you can start again. Correct?

Thanks for the replies.
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that belfast but it doesnt answer the question.What does Coillte get out of the deal .Thanks , Jimmy mac
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they get much out of the deal. I imagine it's similar to the funding other countries get from their Forestry Dept. It's there to encourage re-forestation.
I would think the trees are yours, it's a grant, not a purchase. I doubt if you would be selling trees after four years though, perhaps twenty or so, longer for the oaks and other hardwoods. I wouldn't be handing over a hectare of my land for a minimum of 25 yrs for a mere €6,000 or so, not to get anything back a the end of the day, I'd want the wood. It's a long-term crop, hence the grants. You may find that it's similar to the UK, you can get the grants, keep the trees, but if you plant quick crops like softwood a percentage have to be mixed hardwood and left in place when you crop the softwood. Quite a good plan I think.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coillte were coming in for criticism for their concentration on softwoods a few years back, so there is more of a focus on hardwoods.

i'd be interested to see how much 'green' hardwood fetches compared to 'green' softwood - is the return on hardwoods better than on softwoods, over a long enough period?
Belfast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoke wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to get my uncle to plant trees on his land. The grants would a great incetive for him to do it.

For oak the total grant is €6348. Is that what you recieve over 4 years or one year of the 4 years?

Do you get to sell your trees after 4 years or is that what the grant pays for?

You grow the trees for 4 years and then chop them down. Then you can start again. Correct?

Thanks for the replies.

No. after the grant you get the The Forestry Premium Scheme.

The Forestry Premium Scheme
The forestry premium payments are annual, income-tax free payments to individuals who have planted land under the Afforestation Grant Scheme as described previously. There are two rates of payment under this scheme, a farmer rate and a non-farmer rate. The non-farmer rate is paid annually for 15 years and the farmer rate is paid annually for 20 years. The farmer rate is substantially higher than the non-farmer rate. The annual premium is due for payment following approval of the First Instalment of the Afforestation Grant. It is paid annually thereafter.
Belfast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy mac wrote:
Thanks for that belfast but it doesnt answer the question.What does Coillte get out of the deal .Thanks , Jimmy mac

Sorry I misread the question.

As far a I know you keep the trees.

The grants are paid for by the CAP(EU) colite are not involved in grants.

This should explain that Coillte involvement is

Coillte Farm Partnership and Farm Forestry Management Schemes
http://www.thefarmforest.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=65
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Belfast .I will look into that
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read some of that link Belfast.From what i gather the farmer keeps 80% of the profit from the thinnings and 55% of the value of the mature felling value.The work is divided in fairness , mostly undertaken by coillte.However from what i figure this takes the decision making out of the landowners hands which is where it doesnt suit me.My idea was to plant broadleaves on a permanent basis.I was thinking that it was too good to be true that coillte would pay towards the plantation of what in reality would be a private wood. unless i am missing something which i doubt.Also if I was to go this commercial route ,being a non farmer the payments would be greatly reduced which i think is very unfair.So it is back to private planting for me On the plus side i reckon i can plant my 3 acres relatively cheap with saplings.I reckon about €1000 will get me about 1200 plants .Ok the workload is definitely greater than the other way but at least all thedecisions will be mine.Thanks again for the advice and the link Jimmy mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: