Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Red Robin Photinia

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
red robin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Red Robin Photinia Reply with quote

I have planted last year a row of about 20 metres long of red robin along the front wall of the garden. It looked great and I planted it because I saw it elsewhere and I love the colour of it. however this year it doesnt look to healthy. It hasnt grown much and a some of the leaves are brown and have holes in them. I removed all the dead leaves and weeded under and around them. I have also added more all purpose moss peat and added a handful of chicken manure around each plant. Is this enough or is there anything else I can do. What would have caused this? I did prune them last october which was advised by the garden centre when I bought them.
Any ideas???
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to consider:

If they were planted in last year, then give them a year at least to become settled, establish their own root strucure etc.

Apply fertilizers ( manure etc) in autumn so that the fertilizer will break down over the winter and provide food for growth for spring and summer.

Look after the plant in its first year into its second year, should be fine after that, ensure, that it has fod deliever in autumn.

Is it staked ? could be root rock causing subsequent starvation??
red robin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Thanks for the reply Michael196. I will make sure to weed and feed again later in the year. Mam in law the garden expert was out today and reckons it is coming on fine and will grow in next couple of months. I will let you know how it goes.
gttc16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said I'd bump this up rather than start a new topic.

I have over 70m of Red Robin planted towards the end of last summer, 3 plants per meter. Some seems to be doing really well, more of it not so well.

I was advised to use some tomato plant food for it, but when I asked the local co-op he didn't have any. He advised using 7-6-17 fertilized. Does this sound about right.? He said a few sprinkles of fertilizer around the outer roots, away from the trunk of the plant should do.
Any opinions.?
Also, at the rear I have another 40m or so of Privet and Escallonia mixed, is it worth usin the same fertilizer on that.?

When should they all be pruned/cut back.? I want both to fill out a bit and keep to a height of 3ft.
Thanks for any advice.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 6 17 is a balanced fertiliser but it may not solve your problem. If part of your Photinia is alright and the other part is not , then the cause might be poor drainage, shallow soil, disease, poor soil structure or wind shake.
There should be no need to feed escallonia or privet. prune both in March April before growth really starts vigorously.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Michael196

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed photinia taking a hammerring aorunf here lately and throughout the summer. Just not thriving

As we are entering autumn, I would start to get some compost ready for mulching around the base. Get some baggged farm yard manure from the garden centers and apply in september or so and then just wait until spring and see how the plant is doing. If there is a virus attack of some sort then feed will help the plant through.

Just had a quick check on the photinia red robin down the back here. Certainly looks a little off. hole in leaves etc. I think it needs a feed over the winter, so I will apply mulch or preferably farmyeard manure over the autumn
gttc16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get that Horse manure pretty handy, just call down and fill the trailer.
Presume this would have the same effect.?
May be correct also Michael in that the soil may be shallow, it is planted along side a new boundry wall and the earth distance to the foundation may not be great. Will building up with soil be detrimantal or should I just work away with some manure for the moment around each plant.?
Michael196

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the horse manure would be fine, check with a spade or shovel that the roots have a good amount of compost or soil to bury down into and that the roots are not obstructed from burrowing down.

If you are restriced on one side make sure that the roots are free on another at least

sounds like building up with manure is appropriate at the moment and se how things look in the spring
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: