Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How to Grow Garlic in Your Home Garden Successfully

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
nibbler
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to poke around in the soil to see what has happened to the cloves that failed to sprout. What I found is that all the failed cloves have no root structures whatsoever and although the cloves themselves are in good nick, they all have this empty cylinder in the centre of the clove running from top to bottom.

I assumed they've had it and have replanted some more. However, 2/3 failed for no obvious reason is curious.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more than likely you planted garlic cloves that were either too old or had been artificially dried. Either way the plant was not viable so it was not your fault that they did not grow. To test the viability of any future garlic cloves you intend to plant is to cut them down the centre lengthways and see if there is any trace of green or wait for 24 hrs to see if green appears. If no green appears then the bulbs are not viable and will not grow. Garlic bulb producers sometimes treat their bulbs chemically commercially so as to prevent sprouting. These chemicals or some of them can be detected if samples are taken for testing when garlic is imported as a food product as distinct from a garden growing product.
happy gardening
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

nibbler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice Michael. Now that you mention it, they did look a little old.
mariafp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you buy your garlic bulbs?
nibbler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maria, the bulbs I used for planting were all bought in the supermarket. As I understand it, this approach is fine (notwithstanding the comments Michael made earlier in this thread about not using old or damaged ones). The downside is that you're stuck with whatever variety the shops stock and some of these varieties are less tolerant of our damp climate. Most, if not all, of the cloves I planted originated in China.

Incidentally, I take an additional precautionary step with my cloves and soak them for a time (4 - 12 hours) in a solution of water & baking soda to minimize the risk of fungal infection.
mariafp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nibbler wrote:
Hi Maria, the bulbs I used for planting were all bought in the supermarket. As I understand it, this approach is fine (notwithstanding the comments Michael made earlier in this thread about not using old or damaged ones). The downside is that you're stuck with whatever variety the shops stock and some of these varieties are less tolerant of our damp climate. Most, if not all, of the cloves I planted originated in China.

Incidentally, I take an additional precautionary step with my cloves and soak them for a time (4 - 12 hours) in a solution of water & baking soda to minimize the risk of fungal infection.

I think I am going to give them a try as well. Have you been doing it for a while with success?
nibbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maria, first time, actually. A few have failed, but it's been a great learning experience (which is part of the fun for me).
sipherlucian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: late planting Reply with quote

Hi James, just wondering if thisweek is too late to plant my garlic and onions? been quite busy and struggled to get the time to plant them, i thought since its been pretty mild until now that it might be ok
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipher, they should be fine. I grow supermarket garlic too. It costs me about a tenner for a bed full. I only plant the big cloves. No troubles so far. IF they fail, you can shrug your shoulders and plant more in the spring.
sipherlucian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, i invested in it this time and bought several hard neck and soft neck bulbs from the garlic farm so id like them to come on Smile ill give it a go anyway, maybe i might put a fleece over them for a couple of weeks in case the frost forces them up,
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, but don't fleece them unless there is young soft growth. The whole point of planting in the autumn is that they like a bit of cold. Once the leaves get to 2" they should be fine, as long as they don't get a severe sudden freeze. If it freezes hard,(-2 or more) the bulbs might burst, then you're f'd. Save the fleece for those kind of conditions.
sipherlucian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely thanks for the advice i appreciate it
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought some hard neck garlic in mr middleton's a few years ago. have been keeping about three dozen cloves from the harvest every year since.
sipherlucian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i plan to do with mine
Sneachta
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
more than likely you planted garlic cloves that were either too old or had been artificially dried. Either way the plant was not viable so it was not your fault that they did not grow. To test the viability of any future garlic cloves you intend to plant is to cut them down the centre lengthways and see if there is any trace of green or wait for 24 hrs to see if green appears. If no green appears then the bulbs are not viable and will not grow. Garlic bulb producers sometimes treat their bulbs chemically commercially so as to prevent sprouting. These chemicals or some of them can be detected if samples are taken for testing when garlic is imported as a food product as distinct from a garden growing product.
happy gardening
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Hi Michael, does that apply for Elephant garlic (which is supposed to be closer to a leek than a garlic) too?
I got some from Lidl today with the intention of planting and was wondering if i should test first?, if they are no good for planting I'll just eat them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: