Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Herb growing in Ireland

basil, will it grow outside at all?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mim
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: basil, will it grow outside at all? Reply with quote

planted some herbs from seed all doing well outside but had to bring basil back inside. My question is will it grow outside at all or should just keep it indoors. Question Mr. Green

Exclamation Edited by moderator to add descriptive title.
Original title too generic....... (herbs)
see rule 11
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your topic, allowing you to receive replies, plus it leaves a searchable store of information for gardeners coming after you.

Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mim, I planted lots of herbs from seeds this year for the first time. All are doing well except the parsley I will have to buy plants I think! I have some indoors and more in an outdoor mini greenhouse I would think it is a bit early to put them out yet especially basil. They would need to be hardened off for a few days first to get used to the great outdoors, just put them out for a few hours each day but bring in at night if there is any danger of frost.
verge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited by moderator to add descriptive title.
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can grow it outside, but you wouldn't want to put it out until around June. The las hot summer we had (three years ago, if I remember right) I grew a lot of it outside, but I didn't even attempt it the last two years. In Ireland - at least, in my part of it - it's an even dicier proposition than outdoor tomatoes.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: basil is the king of herbs Reply with quote

Basil is sensitive to cold and is best grown in hot dry conditions. Seán Ph'lib's comment is totally valid. In Northern Europe it does best under glass in peat pots, planted out in early summer (when there is little chance of a frost). I grow mine against a south-facing wall under a fig tree which protects it from an possibility of frost even in mid Summer. It loves a well-drained sunny spot and little water.

Basil can be grown indoors in a pot on a south facing windowsill. It should be kept away from cold drafts, and is best in strong sunlight. I'm lucky in that respect cause I'm maybe a degree further south than Seán. When you dry it for storing be sure you put it in waterproof containers to keep air out and store it in the dark to preserve the wonderful essential oils and aromatics.

summerdays

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to grow basil outside last year, but I didn't grow it from seed, instead I bought one of the pots you can get from the super markets and replanted that outside, it worked well, but once the weather turned bad, the basil died off. I have just done the same again and everything is looking good again .
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: basil, will it grow outside at all? Reply with quote

Summer Days Ssssshhh!
Don't tell them our secret.
And when the cold gets it
don't mention that you can
dry what's there
for mid-winter

summerdays

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never though of drying the herbs for winter, I usually make a pesto with the basil, which helps to use it all up
I am looking for Chervil at the moment, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, I think it might have to grown from seed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Herb growing in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: