Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Corrigans City Farm

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mojorex
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Corrigans City Farm Reply with quote

I dont know if anyone saw the programee on tuesday night, Richard Corrigan the chef is setting up city gardens in cork, i just thought its such a good idea really good advice on the show too.
sharonl
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have it on weekly reminder now, it will definately be usefull for me as I've only just started with an allotment, so it couldn't have come at a better time. Very Happy

Great show, and its about time somebody did something like that in ireland. They have so much more of an allotment culture over in the UK. i watched Hugh Fernly Whittingstalls programme about the community small holding and was so jealous! I think theres big demand in ireland for allotments, most people just don't know where to start. You really have to dig to find any info on county council allotments and how to apply, then you find theres an enourmous waiting list, and up until this year there just wasn't many private allotments. Its great to see so many private allotment schemes starting up and this programme will certainly draw attention to the whole allotment 'movement' and hopefully the county councils might come under more pressure to provide allotments.

sharon

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a desperate shortage of good sound hands on information on cultivation of vegetables. richard corrigan's show was a commentary on allotments not much educational value but he certainly created a greater awareness of the value of allotments. two generations have missed out on vegetable and fruit growing in small gardens and this needs to be redressed while there is know-how still around.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
stooriefit

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this post and followed the link to RTE iPlayer, I watched the 19 may programe, it was exellent !!.Michael Corrigan bursts with enthusism for growing and rearing your own food. I have bookmarked the RTE site and will watch the programe in the coming weeks.
Jock

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that there is plenty enthusiasm for the growing but no amount of this will make up for good sound down to earth advice, of course i am delighted that a high profile person has drawn attention to this need and this great opportunity.
michael brenock
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheer enthusiasm is the driving force behind people starting to grow their own. Then, if the good, sound, down-to-earth advice isn't nearby, they are motivated to find it and get stuck in. No enthusiasm, no motivation, no pleasure and no crops.
Some of these high profile people on TV are responsible for getting hundreds if not thousands of non-gardeners enthusiastic and motivated, wihout them, it probably wouldn't happen to a lot.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there would be a demand for a simply-written book on vegetable-growing?
stooriefit

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of books out there Sean,. try Ebay or a book site called Greenmetropolis.

http://www.greenmetropolis.com

Jock

John H

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching the series, it is handy to pick up a few tips. I liked the idea for growing strawberries in a wavin pipe. They had a pipe hanging and filled it with soil and cut out rectangles on the top and planted the strawberries in it then.

It could be a good way of covering a wall Idea
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would make a good method of growing strawberries for the latest "in-type" of gardening, called Forest Gardening. It's a method of getting maximum out-put from the small garden.
Growing high crops, as an example, nuts or apples, then dropping down to runner beans, then the next size down, and so on until you reach your ground level crops. It has been tested and shown that it reduces decimation of crops by insects because of the confussion it causes them and they give up and move on. It also encourages wildlife and birds which would feed on any obstinate nasties. Ideal for those of you growing organically. I suppose it's also a method of compannion planting but on a wider scale and being less selective of what you companion-plant. You could do it on small or very large scale. How it would work on crop rotation, I'm not sure, I'll look into further, or maybe one of you googlers could google it?
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: