Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Snail Traps, Beer and Dogs

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
coolaboola
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Snail Traps, Beer and Dogs Reply with quote

My garden is a snail magnet so it was widly optimistic of me to plant some lettuce over the weekend. Lo and behold, last night a snail guzzled a whole Lollo Rossa baby. So I cracked open the snail traps I bought in Lidl and filled with half a bottle of Miller beer each. Popped them down in strategic snaily locations. Then came back in an hour to find that dog had popped the lid on one of them and drank all the beer!!
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol

Atleast i know my dog is not alone in his love of beer! he actually asks for a sup if we sit down the end of the garden with a bottle.

Ive given up on the snails too many of them hide in the rhubarb bushes. so i got a roll of copper wire last year in lidl and put it around my raised beds. Seems to work, except if the grass gets too long and hangs over then the buggers get in.
sharonl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barremic,

How does the whole copper wire thing work exactly? I have a sneaky suspicion we might have a load of slugs around our allotment and I want to try and get a head start on them while we wait for the frogs to come out (thankfully I think there are also lots of them, came across some frog spawn on the site) Does the copper wire need to be in contact with the soil, say pegged down around the beds or do you wrap it around posts.

sharon

barremic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,

The one we got was like woven copper, i have seen tape in some hardwares, it is quite dear.

we used a staple gun on the raised wooden beds to attach it to the wood, that way ( i think ) it has contact, and they dont like the little shock they get.

It came with pegs to push into the soil. I have to take some pictures for another forum, so i will try to post one up here too.

We are just building our pond at the moment, would love to have frogs settle in the garden, they never did in my old pond. I would say they are a great help.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. middletons do adhesive backed copper tape - as mentioned above, it ain't cheap - about €13 for 5m.
the adhesive is incredibly sticky, though. be warned, if it sticks to your hand, it can be uncomfortable to pull off.
barremic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the tape is good for applying to teracotta pots etc, but (and i dont think they have done it this year so far) the large roll of copper i got was more like a ribbon, which made it very handy to put around the raised planters.

All the reference i can find ont he Inet is for the tape.
barremic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon

Here is a picture a bit out of focus of the copper tape i was telling you about. its a long the top of my wooden planter.

Its not really a tape more like a wire ribbon

gardenapr09 112.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.4 KB
 Viewed:  6456 Time(s)

gardenapr09 112.jpg

sunflower from the west
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crushed eggshells around plant will keep the snails/slugs well away. Laughing
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: hedgehog to clear the slugs that don't get ossified Reply with quote

The best slug and snail remover of all, but it can be hard to organise if you're not organised, is a hedgehog. We ensured hedgehog access to our garden when we built the wall last year and the local spikey snuffles in and out regularly. You guys using beertraps need to know that pukka devices from garden stores are only for gardener's dogs as is now proven on this thread. We use glass jars with about 2cm real ale in them, buried to the necks in places we'd expect slugs to lurk. Under rhubarb? The slimies crawl over the edge of the bar and do an unplanned dive into the beer-pool. If we had a camcorder it'd be a terrific slot for youtube.
foxroxks

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

need to get me a hedgehog bad . Theres always been slugs around my garden annoying me as in one or 2 in the greenhouse & I eventually hunted them down n grrr'd at them. That was my slug problem until a couple of days ago I planted out my beans & peas & decided not to use beer traps like I have in the past n put down some pellets . Well tis morn OMG I went to open the gh roof for the day & it was like I was having an open house party for slug & snailes . There must have been at least 100 climbing up my raised beds towards the plants/pellets Shocked Shocked Shocked . I think i've just created a problem rather then solve it hmmph Rolling Eyes
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I briefly mentioned that in another post. The pellets have to attract the slugs away from the plants, otherwise they wouldn't work, I always wondered if they caused a problem where one didn't exist, or at least didn't exist to the same extent. Great for the manufacturers, you have to keep buying them once the problem increases Mad Time, I think, to take out shares in slug-pellet companies Laughing
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: