Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Planting onion sets

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sharonl
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Planting onion sets Reply with quote

Hi all,

I finally got the onion bed dug and want to put in onion sets this weekend. Is it too early? Also, really basic question, when planting the sets, is it fine to just bung em in and then water, or should I water the bed first before planting the sets. I've never grown onions before so I'm a complete noob! Final question, is it too late to plant garlic?

Thanks
sharon

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Planting onion sets Reply with quote

It's not too early sharonl, get them in as soon as you can.

Its good if the soil is slightly damp to the touch, however watering before planting can cause the soil to be very sticky forcing you to leave off planting until it drys out slightly.
The way I look at it is the sets have been out of moist soil for ages already so the wait for watering after you plant will not bother them a bit.

About the time to plant garlic, I think blackbird said it best in this post.... can i transplant garlic now? Late April / Early May

"They are usually planted in autumn as the bulbs need the cold of the winter to encourage them to split into new garlic bulbs. With late planted garlic you'll probably find that you'll get one large bulb, instead of many split bulbs.
It wont be as usable in the kitchen but it should still scare the greenfly."

some pics from my own garden ....

Shallot planting.

Need more materials?

Irish home delivery.

Need more materials?

UK home delivery.

Need more materials?

US home delivery.

- Onion set bargains-
CLICK HERE.

-Onion set bargains-
CLICK HERE.

- Onion set bargains-
CLICK HERE.

sets coming up.jpg
 Description:
Onion sets on their way up...
 Filesize:  111.39 KB
 Viewed:  4744 Time(s)

sets coming up.jpg

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
sharonl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GPI Very Happy the pics are really usefull, at least I know now how they should look.

sharon

Gill
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Im in exactly the same position as you with the onions.... just planted them last sunday. Fingers crossed as I too am new to this.... good to see the photos that actually really helps . Good luck
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just press the sets into the ground about half inch.Plant any time between mid march and early may. Plant garlic now about 2 inches deep, divide up a garlic bulb into cloves the natural division within the bulb.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon. Hi! The fact that you've made the conscious decision to grow onions in the first place means they obviously have a value to you.

Too late for this year but, around September time (possibly August), have a trawl through the websites and you'll find various types of onion and shallot sets that are planted around October and sit in the ground right through the winter to provide an earlier crop the following year - around June. As always, cover with some sort of netting to stop the birds pulling them out.

Using this facility plus the more orthodox spring planting, you should keep yourself in onions for 90% of the year. I've still got the remains of last year's 'rope' hanging in the garage and, whilst some have gone off, there are still enough rock hard ones to meet our needs.

If, as I am, you're fortunate to have a commercial strawberry grower nearby, many of them grow their crops in commercial cropping bags (growbags) which they throw out at the end of their crop. I get these, turn them over and carefully slip off the plastic to reveal a nice smooth surface of compost and I then dib holes at the required intervals for the little onion sets.

It seems as though strawberries and onions use different types of nutrition as I always get a good crop from these bags. It's also a long time before the weeds come through the compost and, once the onions have been lifted, you're left with the rich dark residue to dig into your soil and improve its general quality.

If you have difficulty sourcing winter sets within Ireland, I know Dobies of Paignton do them every year.

ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plant them now if you have room and see how they go here is a pic of mine red. white and shallots planted only 3 weeks ago under glass in rotted manure and peat compost mix, no harm tryin'
regards ian.

alliums.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.01 KB
 Viewed:  4626 Time(s)

alliums.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: