Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Advise on hedge - complete gardening dummy

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Techeng
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Advise on hedge - complete gardening dummy Reply with quote

The front of my house is south facing. I have a small brick wall (2 foot high) running around the front perimeter with a small fence between my house and next door.

I want put a hedge in the front running along the wall and also along the neighgouring fence. Ideally the hedge will be no higher than 3-4 foot when mature. Note that the front lawn is covered in moss and gets quite wet during the winter

I visited the local garden center and quite liked the look of Laurel or Griselinia, I would love some advise

1. What hedge plant is suitable for this aspect - needs to be easily tended and low maintainence.
2. When should I sow
3. Currenly just a lawn, how do I prepare for a hedge

Any advise would be appreciated
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griselinia will give you colour and flowers , whereas the laurel will remain green all year round ( gets a bit boring to look at !! ) .

Laurel can grom quite lareg and uncoltrolled.

griselinia , you need to check teh hight , but would grom naturally to about 6-8 feet i would guess.

both are easily tended and low maintenance, both requiring strimming once a year.

Sow between january and and of march, ( missed the bus for this year perhaps).

to prepare for a hedge,:
start digging out a trench about 1 foot wide by 1 foot deep and back fill with the originla soil mixed with fresh compost. You can then just leave this until the plants are available bare rooted in the autumn from your nursery or garden center suppler. all the hard work will be done, then just plant them in whe the time comes in autumn.

you could go ahead now if you can get potted griselenia, however the cost will be higher , ( x 3 or 5 ), the established from pots needs more care and attention over the summer. If ( bare rooted) are potted in the autumn/ winter, the plants have a chance to start growing roots before the summer arrives, so can survive better than pot planted in late spring.

Bare rooted means that you get the plants with no soil aroun their base ( i.e.e not in pots ), but they must be planted within say 24 hours of being taken from the groundby the nursery / garden center.

Moss on the lawn is caused by compact soil, por draiange of lack of sunlight. Consider draining the lawn by digging drainage channels.

the hedge will not survive if the roots are waterlogged for weeks at a time in the winter so make sure that there is godd draiiningae around the hedging ( no water logging).
breezyacre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: hedge and lawn Reply with quote

Hi. The front of your house is south facing.? I am amazed that with all the sun on a south facing lawn that the lawn gets wet and moss grows so virulently. A trench however around the lawn for the hedge will help this particularly if you mix in plenty of stone with what you backfill. The roots of the hedge should also take some of the extra moisture off the lawn. The easiest solution to the moss is a machine called a scarifier which you can hire from your local hire centre. This pulls the moss off the lawn. You must then gather the moss and get rid of it. This is not a long term solution but if you do it every year in may your lawn will look much better.
Beech hedge is an indigenous hedge that , in my opinion, looks well in both the growing season and the dormant season. It takes trimming twice a year to keep a shape on it but , in my opinion, it is worth the effort.

Michael196

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iron sulphate on the lawn will also kill off the moss and then the scarifier will tkae it out of the ground once it is dead
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Advise on hedge - complete gardening dummy Reply with quote

Techeng wrote:

1. What hedge plant is suitable for this aspect - needs to be easily tended and low maintainence.

Euonymus japonicus spaced at 45cm (1.5 ft) creates an evergreen hedge 4 to 5ft tall at a slow growth rate.
However very wet soil would be a concern, you will need to get this sorted for the benefit of your hedge and lawn.

More hedging varieties here for you to peruse.... Hedging plants in Ireland (size, spacing, flowers and fruit)

More on lawn drainage here...... Compacted lawn-what to do!

Techeng wrote:
2. When should I sow

This hedge variety is usually sold in containers, so it can be planted at any time the ground is not frozen or waterlogged.
However being evergreen I prefer to see it going in in spring time.

Techeng wrote:
3. Currenly just a lawn, how do I prepare for a hedge

Dealt with well already.
If you want to dig deeper on the subject...... How to plant a hedge in Ireland.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: