Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

Summer/Autumn flowers

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
TryMyBest
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Summer/Autumn flowers Reply with quote

Me again,

In my garden I have an extremely high bank. I'm currently planting the actual bank with heathers, phlox, thyme and other ground covering plants.

I have decided that I want to plant something along the top of the bank. I will need a ladder to get up there so I want something that will take care of itself.

I am going plant daffodil bulbs which will give me lovely colour for March & April. I want to have some colour up there through out the year.

Has anybody any suggestions for what I can plant so that I can have flowers for the rest of the year. It needs to be something that could look after itself as I will not be going back up there once they have been planted.

Once again, any advice welcome and all suggestions considered.
TryMyBest

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been researching this via the internet when I have the time. There are loads of bulbs that flower in Summer and Autumn. I've mentioned a few below and uploaded some photos for those of you that are interested. For me, I have decided to go to my garden center and see what bulbs are available. I'm not setting my heart on getting any specific ones as i'd be disappointed if I can't find them anywhere.

Summer Flowering

When to Plant? - spring

Ornamental onions (alliums)
Iris
camassia,
crocosmia,
eremerus
tigridia
gladioli

Autumn Flowering

When to Plant? - Summer

Autumn crocuses
Colchicums
Amaryllis belladonna
Dahlia
pineapple flower (eucomis),
cyclamen
schizostylis

allium.jpg
 Description:
Allium
 Filesize:  2.41 KB
 Viewed:  9688 Time(s)

allium.jpg

Iris.jpg
 Description:
Iris
 Filesize:  3.88 KB

Iris.jpg

Camassia.jpg
 Description:
Camassia
 Filesize:  4.11 KB

Camassia.jpg

Crocosmis 'Lucifer'.jpg
 Description:
crocosmia 'Lucifer'
 Filesize:  5.76 KB

Crocosmis 'Lucifer'.jpg

TryMyBest

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures just incase somebody is wondering what the above bulbs look like when they are in flower. I know I wondered.

Eremerus (foxtail lily).jpg
 Description:
eremerus
 Filesize:  5.67 KB
 Viewed:  9672 Time(s)

Eremerus (foxtail lily).jpg

Tigridia Pavonia.jpg
 Description:
Tigridia Pavonia
 Filesize:  5.17 KB

Tigridia Pavonia.jpg

Cyclamen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.14 KB

Cyclamen.jpg

Colchicum.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.77 KB

Colchicum.jpg

autumn crocus.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.14 KB

autumn crocus.jpg

Dahlias.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.02 KB

Dahlias.jpg

Amaryllis Belladonna.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.61 KB

Amaryllis Belladonna.jpg

Schizostylis.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.32 KB

Schizostylis.jpg

Gladioli.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.1 KB

Gladioli.jpg

ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Avoid disappointment Reply with quote

Right now, most of the bulbs I've wanted have disappeared off the shelves as the Christmas displays are all taking up space with poinsettas, hollies etc. So, if you want some specialty bulbs, try ebay. I just placed a few orders for anemones because squirrels don't dig them up. Watch out for the shipping though as some come from Thailand, ship internationally while other times, the cost of shipping is more than what you pay for the cheap bulbs.

7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.7 KB
 Viewed:  9162 Time(s)

7.jpg

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ever tried to grow foxtail lilies in pots?
they were destroyed by slugs last year, so we were considering growing them in pots because they're easier to guard - the roots seem to grow horizontally, so i'm sceptical about our chances.
the pots will be in a sheltered spot, so won't have to deal with an awful lot of wind.
ormondsview

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: foxtail hates pots Reply with quote

I too am looking to grow these in my garden and searching ebay (try Australia) or (UK) for the best varieties - I find the country of natural origin to be the most knowledgeable and you'll get the freshest product - even if you have to ship a long ways. The Aussies are also plant nuts. Quoted from one seller
Quote:
Eremurus robustus, PINK FOXTAIL LILY, DESERT CANDLE

Light pink blooming spikes 5-7 feet tall! This one blooms in late spring/early summer from a basal rosette of gray-green strap shaped leaves about 1 foot long. The blooms are a light pink on spikes that may be 3 feet of solid bloom on a stem that is over 6 feet tall! These make excellent cut-flowers. Show-stopping specimen plants, and accent plants in rock gardens. This one has such tall blooms that heavy rains and wind can cause it to bend over. These need lots of room, good drainage, and are very drought tolerant. They will take some watering, be sure to dry them off in late summer. These go dormant in late summer and need no water after that. Plant 2-3 inches deep, do not get mulch directly on the crown or it will rot. Crowns have wide spreading, shallow roots, plant in a sunny spot, where soil will not be disturbed for a 3 foot diameter area. These are vigorous and have no serious pest problems, we get leaf spots due to our wet springs, but the blooms are seldom bothered by anything, great plant for honeybees.

Foxtail Lily or Desert Candle is one of those outstanding plants that should be grown more than it is. Though a little picky about location-(you MUST provide excellent drainage and full sun), it is worth finding the right spot for it. They will grow on clay soils with good drainage, as well as sandy and gravelly soils.

A member of the Lily family, it doesn't resemble a lily at all, hundreds of bell-like flowers are massed along 4-5 foot spires that bloom in late spring/summer. The dark green rosettes of leaves will fade away during summer, so it is wise to plant something else along the base, this will help mark where it is, so you won't disturb the roots later in the season.

Most Eremurus is imported from out of the country and sold in the spring, the roots are cut back and the crowns are heat treated to meet import requirements. They are not happy with that treatment and are of poor quality, and often DOA. Ours are hand planted, field grown, hand dug, roots will not be pruned off, although they are brittle and break easily.

These need lots of room, good drainage, and are very drought tolerant. They will take some watering, dry off in mid-summer, continued water will cause the crowns to rot. Plant 2-3 inches deep, do not get mulch directly on the crown or it will rot. Plant with the roots spread out horizontally, no need to force the roots down. Crowns have wide spreading, shallow roots, plant where soil will not be disturbed for 2-3 feet around them.

The flower spike is produced from a fleshy rooted crown with a central growing point. The tuberous roots fan out in all directions from the central point. Foxtail lily HATES POTS, not recommended for pot growing!

Zones 1-8, have survived 10F naked in the barn.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, cheers!
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suspect i lifted them a bit late - not knowing how wide the roots spread, i lifted a rootball about six to eight inches wide, and undoubtedly chopped most of the roots off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: