Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Climbing fuchsia lady boothby

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foxroxks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Climbing fuchsia lady boothby Reply with quote

My mum is a big fan of fuchsias & came across a climbing fuchsia in a mag. I found a seller for these & bought some small plug plants for her. I'm just wondering how they grow best. I've just potted them on till I get a chance to drive down to her.

1.3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.95 KB
 Viewed:  9535 Time(s)

1.3.JPG

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds intriguing.....I've never heard of a climbing fuchsia......is it frost hardy ?
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of it either, I'd be interested in how it does, keep us informed.
Is it truly a climber, or does it grow so high it needs support on a wall?
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
foxroxks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know anything about it myself . My mum seen it in a mag & just had to have one. Its sold as a climber.

Description

It's true - this IS the World's only climbing fuchsia! Lady Boothby was bred from an original Brazilian species in 1939 and named after the founder of the British Fuchsia Society.

Bright two-tone flowers adorn its red stems that stop at nothing when it comes to climbing! Provide a little support and it'll clothe trellis, arches wall and fences in no time at all.

Apart from being extremely vigorous it's also exceptionally hardy, so you can look forward to repeat performances from Fuchsia Lady Boothby year after year.

I'll keep an eye on them & let u know how they get on.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us informed. I've seen and looked after many Fuschia arches and they are a spectacle to behold, but the plants were trained rather than being climbers.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
LyndaT
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Climbing Fuchsia Reply with quote

I've just found your post and I think we saw this at Coolaught Gardens (in the nursery section) near Enniscorthy yesterday. We were on our way home so didn't have a chance to check it out properly but I'd definitely be interested in buying it. The plants were about 2 feet high and seemed to be well established. I didn't get a chance to speak to the lady about where it should go (sun, partial shade, etc) but will definitely check it out in the next few weeks. It sounds exactly what I am looking for to fill in gaps in the fence.
Thanks
Lynda Mr. Green

website for Coolaught is http://www.visitwicklow.ie/gardens/coolaught_gardens.htm (a bit misleading as it is not in Wicklow)
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Climbing fuchsia lady boothby Reply with quote

foxroxks wrote:
My mum is a big fan of fuchsias & came across a climbing fuchsia in a mag. I found a seller for these & bought some small plug plants for her. I'm just wondering how they grow best. I've just potted them on till I get a chance to drive down to her.

How are your Mum's climbing fuscia's doing foxroxks? I am also a big fuscia fan. We have almost completed building a pergola and climbing fuscia's would be perfect to tie in with the rest of the garden. Does it just come in one colour? Thanks in advance!

foxroxks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've just seen it in the one colour. I haven't been down to see how they've been getting on since she planted them out. I'm actually heading down this weekend so I'll check them out & let you know. Hopefully she hasn't killed them off Rolling Eyes
foxroxks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just an update on this. Was a bit disappointed when I seen them. they havent really come on much but I did get them as plugs & am not sure how fast they should grow maybe they'll take off next year!

1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.33 KB
 Viewed:  9136 Time(s)

1.JPG

Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for update foxroxks - I must say, although they look small, they look quite healthy. I will be ordering plugs as well, I think having seen them, I will go ahead. Will post their progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: