Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

re potato sowing

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: re potato sowing Reply with quote

Hi folks I am looking for more advice .I have 4 bags (approx 30kgs each)of seed potatoes.Can anyone advise me on how much ground they will cover ,length by breadth and when is the latest i can plant .I am in the midlands
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Shocked If you work on averaging 2.5 Kg per 20' - 25' row for the average garden and you have 120 Kg that works out at an awful lot of ground, I'll let you work out the rest, I'm a coward Laughing
I've planted 30 Kg covering an area of 36 sq mtrs and I have crammed them tighter (especially the earlies) than recomended. Your probably looking at around 144 sq mtrs or more if you don't cram them like I did, possibly nearer 160.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work that at 50 feet by 25 feet.One thing i am not short of is space.What about planting deadlines. The variety are roosters and they were sourced locally
Liparis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished planting my spuds, but you don't want to be leaving it much longer. They will grow, but might not put on size and storing capabilities.
Bill.

Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've still plenty time to plant. The old rule was: if you can see through an ash tree, you can still plant spuds. It's hard to estimate area by weight of seed: a big seed potato can weigh twice as much as a small one!
walltoall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Can I withdraw my tongue from the outer reaches of my cheek Reply with quote

Growing potatoes large scale, drills should be 3' apart for late varieties (and I happen to agree with Sean Ph'lib about the ash tree). Sets are dropped 12"/18" apart. The ideal tuber is 2oz in weight and the size of a nice hen egg. That works out at 8 ideal tubers per lb. and also per 8' of drill. You have 30x4kg = 250+lbs of seed. Since 1lb does 8 linear feet and 250x8= 2000 you will need say 50 drills 40' long to use up those four bags of seed. Drills are 3' apart, headland 150'. (For a 75' headland you'll need 80' drills.) Multiply the headland by the drill (150x40= 6000 sq. ft.).

43560 sq.ft. is an acre but yiz all knew that.

The bad news is that the book is adamant the field should be deeply dug over winter and, if not rich in humus, should have added in February 2cwt of decayed manure and 6lb of "Complete Fertilizer" per square rod. (call it 250sq.ft. for ease. Your 6000sq.ft. gives 24 sq.rods, 48cwt is 2.5 tons of dung and you're running three months late so if you can get 1/7 acre ploughed and drilled right quick you may beat the ash. I've just checked my resident ash and it is nowhere near bud burst. Nor have I yet seen a swallow or a martin, although I've just spotted a split infinitive.

The reason I'm complacent just now is that I put in the late crop yesterday in a raised bed, one large tuber from my potato bag which had started to sprout and was the only spud there. I stuck it 6" down covered it over and went down to Sainsbury's for a fresh bag for the dinner. My earlies (5 tubers in a wooden planter 12"x12") are flyin' it, having been put in on St. Patrick's day, (after Mass I hasten to add: I live in a heathen country and 17th was not a bank holiday). They've been banked up twice and the stalks are about 12" tall this morning. So I can at last afford to take the time out to do the maths for this thread and let them of yiz that will, double check all the calculations and highlight my mistakes. Google was useless at providing any references for this so today's sources were distinctly last century: Lay's Arithmetic(1956), Odhams Illustrated Reference Book(1933), Hall&Stevens School Arithmetic(1959), Pears Cyclopedia (1956-57). Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Liparis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start again walltoall, we're metric Laughing Laughing
Thank God someone had the time to work that out. I cram my spuds. Lates get planted as usual, second earlies a wee bit closer and first earlies closer still. The earlies I want as salad and baby potatoes so that's not crucial. By the time we're finished them we're working on the seconds for a longer period, the lates I want for winter storage.
Bill.

jimmy mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks for all the replies.I had slurry applied on sunday and the ground is being ploughed tomorrow so i should have them in by the weekend.Walltoall thats exactly what i needed.Thankfully i am surrounded by ash trees and that is a wonderful guide .I wil print it off and stick it in my folder.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wall to all was dead on about measurement and the ash tree. maincrop potatoes can still be sown even for another few weeks, but better out of the ground if they are unsprouted. roosters are excellent main crop variety.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: