Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Where can I buy a heated propagator?

Most Recent Posts Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Where can I buy a heated propagator? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of an online store to purchase one of these at a reasonable price? I want a medium to large one which will accomodate at least two 96 cell propogation trays which measure 335mm x 515mm each.

Someone mentioned polydome.ie - any experience of them?

Thanks in advance.
Michael196

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YORKY,

if you have a homebase near you, they do a standard Stewarts heated propagator for about 55 quid.

there is a more expensive stewart with a thermostatic dial that allows you to dial up and down the temp for about 80 quid.

Johnstown GC has some in stock also
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a supplier of reptiles/equpment, purchase a heat pad and that would do the job much cheaper. Aternatively you can make your own heated propagator by buying an horticultural heater cable. Make a bench with 6" sides to whatever size you want, fill the bench with around 2" of sand (builders sand will do), then put in your cable of required size as per instructions then cover with another 2" of sand. Keep the sand damp for heat conductivity. I used to build a wooden frame to fit the propagating bench to about 2' high and cover it with polythene.
A very cheap propagator to whatever the size you want for a fraction of the price. Added benefits are numerous. Bought propagators are very limited in their use, but with a bench, even a vvery small one you can use it for the 9 months that you aren't germinating seeds etc to root cuttings of your favourite shrubs etc to increase your stock or give them away to friends. You will find your propagator in use 12 months of the year. For this purpose, remove your top 2" of sand and replace it with between 4" - 6" of 50% peat and 50% sand mixed well, root your cuttings directly into the peat/sand mix. Every two or three months, remove the top 1" or so if it's getting algae or moss growth and replace with fresh. You will have plants coming out of your ears.
A propagator like this measuring 3' long by perhaps the 3' or so wide of your staging will produce cuttings etc far in excess of you own use, unless you have a huge garden. Cuttings would go in rows with a maximum of 1/2" apart in the row and rows 2" apart. You compare that to the comparatively small area of a bought, plastic prop. A cable would cost you around €20 the sand a few euro and the rest you could do DIY for pennies. Of course, if your using it the house, then that's no good to you. But in that case, you probably don't really need a propagator.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
sunnymount farm
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liparis
I was reding through your instructions and advise on the home propagating tray thinking... great stuff this is ideal for me. Then you mention at the bottom that it's not really much good inside - I take it you mean because of the heating being on in the house. I was going to set mine up in an unused room which has no heating on.
The room temperture on it's own would be too cold so I thought your DIY propagating tray would be prefect.
I hope you can still advise even though I'm asking 8 months since the last response.
Thanks Bill in advance
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Sunny,

I think the important thing is to buy or make one that is bigger than you require now because, trust me once you start getting results you'll want to do more and more. The other important thing to mention is, which ever model you decide to buy or make, make sure it has adjustable temp control as seed germination temps may vary from 10 to 30 degrees, cuttings would be fine around 10 degrees I think. I bought the jumbo type propogator from Thompson and Morgan a couple of years ago and find it works really well for me. The other thing that you may need to consider if your using your propogator indoors are light levels, heat is important but so too is light.
I find T&M great for online service but I'm sure there are plenty of more out there.

Best of luck

sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AJ
Some good points there. I was aware of the light issue so my intention was to move the germinated plants to a sunny spot outside with some cover i.e polythene frame over them like a mini polytunnel.
I've never done this before and I'm using it to germinate vegetables that little bit eariler than normal, so hope it works.
I'll check out that website as well.
Cheers AJ.
AJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny
If its veg your doing, low heat will be fine for most, In fact most might germinate without heat in an unheated room, not too sure how robust veg seedlings are, so just be careful not to shock them by way of temp change when moving from inside to out Wink .

best of luck

sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bother last year trying to germinate veg seeds early due to the temperature change and that was in the shed by a row of windows, which gave lots of light. I'm going to buy some heater cable (or santa might put it in my christmas box) and at night switch it on to keep the temperature more similar to the day.
It's great to get your feedback - much appreciated.
And if things don't work I'll probably be complaining on this site in a few months.
AJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny,

It's all just trial and error, that's the fun of it.

best of luck

galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been growing seeds in a propogator for the last few months, getting some practice for next year.

I've got lots of advice from people here, and some of the best points (I think) have been -

water from below.

get as much sun as possible.

air during day using vents, but not at night.

wipe off condensation, to avoid fungal destruction.

don't overwater.

rotate trays if seeds are all to the side toward sun. I found that doing this daily or two daily works well.

Best of luck!

Oh, on your heat issue. An unheated propogator can help. I picked one up for peanuts in lidl a few months back.
sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advise GalwayBeginner.
You're right about the amount of solid knowledge that people have on this site.
I'm no expert and I find I've got a lot better due to taking advise from more experienced gardeners on the site.
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Absolute beginner - moved from Dublin to Galway a year or so ago and now have a big garden, so trying to make the most of it.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Make your own heated propagator" I hear some gardeners say.
Ok, heated propagators are handy, but it's worth noting that for many Veg seeds a plain old unheated version is all thats required.
See this recent thread on growing cauliflower from seeds for more info.

Need materials?
Irish home delivery.

Need materials?
UK home delivery.

Need materials?
US home delivery.

-Propagator bargains-
CLICK HERE.

-Propagator bargains-
CLICK HERE.

-Propagator bargains-
CLICK HERE.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: