Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Ants in greenhouse - is this a problem?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Homegrown
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Ants in greenhouse - is this a problem? Reply with quote

Hi There!
Wondering if anyone can help me?
I'm not sure if this is a problem but I've noticed there are alot of ants in my greenhouse. My gh is placed over a plot of land directly on the soil. The outisde of the greenhouse doesnt seem to have as many.
Right now, there are broccoli plants int he gh and they dont seem to be bothered by the ants. I also have sown some seeds in there last week..

Also - I am a bit leary of my plants becoming dependant on the greenhouse. I had hoped to have it over some plants until they were hardy enough to be fully exposed. DOn't know if I'm mollycoddling though> Any advice? I had a veg garden last year that did very poorly, so i thought this year with balancing the soil and adding a gh i might have better results?

Sorry for the novel! I dont know anyone IRL who gardens organically so you'll probably find me asking questions quite often!

TIA!
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in general, ants won't harm your plants. However, the could make sufficiently large nests with tunneling etc to greatly increase drainage and possibly undermine a plant to it's detriment. Having said that I've never had it happen. Are the ants red or black? Black ants are usually not too bad, although they can bite. Red ants, however can be nasty if disturbed and offer up very painful bites, they can be quite aggressive. Ants also have an annoying habit of protecting aphids and "farming" them for their sticky, sweet excrement.
Don't molly-coddle your plants, hardening off should take place as soon as the plants are ready for it. That depends on what they are.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Homegrown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response and advice, Liparis!
I've been leaving the greenhouse wide open for a few nights in a row now and I'll remove it completely any day now. I def. dont want to molly-coddle the plants, but given the misfortunate series of events I had last year, I wanted to be cautious. Something came and ate ALL of my lettuce and carrot tops one night Sad Might have been the same 'creature' who snipped my cala lily blooms as well, lol.
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Ants and other friends Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you are willing to leave the ants to get on with life. Latest customer request was something to kill millipedes on her wall. Answer given was to educate that no need to use toxic chemicals as they do no harm. Either we will slowly educate or lose customers. Values over profit.
029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
nemo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: ants Reply with quote

if you put a few table spoons of semolina un cooked in a few places inside your tunnel the worker ants will bring it to their queen she will eat it .it will swell up inside her and she will explode shortly after the ant colony will move out to find a new home
regards
nemo
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ants in the greenhouse, millions of them, could spend half an hour a day killing them by squeezing and applying hot water locally but they seem to be hatching out quicker than I am killing them. Have been told that they can do root damage. I bought one of those liquid baits (8.00) but it didn't seem to have much effect. Do any of you know if any of the methods above are successful?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Thu May 21, 2015 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what's wrong: ants in your pants! Now he tells us.
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a proactive comment punny guy?

Good guy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about an enclosed environment like a greenhouse - the only place I see many of them is in a couple of my raised veg beds. They don't seem to do any harm there.
Other than the warmth and, presumably, low humidity, what might be attracting them in such numbers? Might children have hidden something sweet somewhere?
You could see if Dublin Zoo would give you the loan of an ant eater!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder is there such an animal as a Letterkenny basher, I could do with one of them!

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think ants in a greenhouse would be a problem. I remember as a kid, loads of ants in my uncle's greenhouse and he had the best allotment and vegetables for miles around.

Of course you always become an entomophagist! Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You regularly come out with these big words that I have to look up to understand WTF you are on about. Uggh NO.
Apparently they undermine the roots with their extensive tunneling and the water goes down too quickly as a result. It's war at this stage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: