Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Will a small lemon tree grow indoors?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
johnoconnell
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Will a small lemon tree grow indoors? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I've a north east facing full height glass section at the back of my house and was wondering if I bought a small lemon tree to stick in a pot would it survive? I'm going to pop out to homebase over the weekend to get some pots to start growing herbs indoors and I like the idea of growing the bits I'd use - I don't get home from work a lot of times so packaged herbs just go off. I was going to get a small 40 - 50cm trough and stick in some basil, rocket and mint - the window box tutorial was great!

Cheers,

John
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lemon tree will survive. It would probably do better outdoors through the summer months on a south facing patio and brought in for the winter. Citrus trees can take some frost but because of their flower/fruit behaviour are better protected from frost. A tree getting into production will have flowers, embryo fruits, unripe fruit and ripe fruit all at the same time, so it just requires it's flowers and embryo fruit protected from frost.
Old Victorian Orangeries are sight to behold with their mature citrus trees, they were normally unheated. You can still see some in work to this day in England, I'm not sure if any still exist in Ireland.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
johnoconnell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated for that - I'll keep it in a decent pot so it can be moved a bit - the deck down the end gets sun for 75% of the day so I'll sit it there during the summer months and take it in once it gets a bit nippy around october / november. Much appreciated!
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not on a commission here, but you could put it in a large decorative pot and buy one of those plant caddys someone is selling on the forum. Just a thought.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: