Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi from Dublin (new to Ireland!)

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Homegrown
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hi from Dublin (new to Ireland!) Reply with quote

HI everyone.
I'm very excited to have found this forum.
This is my 1st full spring/summer in Ireland having moved from Canada.
After a failed attempt last year I am trying again for a veggie garden (organic) this year. Have done a raised bed this time around as I live on reclaimed land that is mostly sandy soil...
Looking forward to reading all the great articles and learning from all the experienced gardeners and learning with all the people that are new to gardening like myself!
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Homegrown and welcome to Ireland and Irish Gardeners!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: I'm a raised bed man myself and I never fall out Reply with quote

Hi Homegrown,
Welcome to the right proper gardening site. Some of our members are homegrown Canadians who are waiting for the snow to melt back there. You'll have no such worries in Ireland, esp. Dublin.

If you have really sandy soil in your place you can restore it with seaweed and you can get the seaweed at your nearest beach free and legal. Don't nick the sand though or you'll be done for it. Raised beds can be made from the thus reconstituted soil next year. You probably are aware but let's say it anyway. Water raised beds sparsely but very regularly. Even the soft irish climate won't keep a raised bed damp. Enjoy.

Homegrown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies & warm welcomes everyone!

I didn't know that about the seaweed! I knew it was good at keeping slugs away (which I have a large number of in my garden!).
Unfortunatley, we are renting atm, so I dont think we will be here this time next year, otherwise I would do the seaweed thing for sure - it's a great idea!

Right now I am trying my hand at nettle fertiliser and was thinking of nicking some seaweed to put around the perimeter of the bed to keep slugs away...infact I'm going to post abotu that on the pests board!
walltoall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Regarding seaweed and slugs Reply with quote

Well! Homegrown! I never knew that seaweed deterred slugs. See what I mean about this site? We all learn from each other. I grew up in North County Dublin. Back in the 50's the Rushmen were the great market gardeners. Still are. Trained by Dutchmen, the Amerlynks, Ruigroks, DeJongs etc. who ran from Hitler. Rush is built on sand dunes. Like twenty or thirty feet deep. Every Winter and Spring the South and North beaches were totally cleaned of seaweed (locally known as 'wore') after every storm and every big tide. One of the reasons Rush became a great seaside resort back then was it's totally clean beaches! I mean a mile of pure fine sand each side of the headland and the harbour. Visiting Dubs thought the Rush 'farmers' were keeping the strands clean for them to use! Us locals knew better. My family got our 'wore' from Rogerstown to avoid competition with the proper gardeners. They couldn't get their little grey Ferguson tractors onto the beach there.
michelle M
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Homegrown, from another beginner Very Happy
Homegrown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW, thanks for sharing that info - so interesting! I'm in North County - Sutton , near Howth. I'm in an estate and the soil is sandy and rocky (i'd imagine from the builders??).
Now I cant wait until the next time I head out to Rush, it's so beautiful there.
I actually went on one of my first country roadtrips last weekend and we drive through Ballyvaughn!
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome
Garden fairie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Homegrown, I'm new here too. Thanks for helping the topic of slugs and seaweed to come up. I didn't know that. I'm off to the seaside this weekend Cool
walltoall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Fairies in the garden Reply with quote

Welcome Garden fairie, Make sure you have either a trailer or some large plastic sacks. You don't always find clean seaweed on every beach and sometimes its all mixed up with sea sand. The salt content deters slugs but humping the seaweed home in the boot makes a fine mess. I hope you have a Dyson. Depending on where you are in Kilkenny, Tramore used to be a good beach for seaweed. But I don't know if you can get your car onto the beach. You can in the beaches in North Dublin
stevemc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Homegrown Im another refugee on the Northside of Dubln been here 15 yrs so far
Garden fairie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Walltoall, I'm from Wx and know a few beaches with lots of seaweed. I'm also not that car proud. It has brought home at least 8 fruit trees and an assortment of garden stuff including leafmold from local woods. Very Happy
Did anyone else sow any different tomatoes?

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without Walltoall's contribution life could be dull in the site, i enjoy his contributions always
michael brenock etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: