Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

Remembering where you planted bulbs

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Remembering where you planted bulbs Reply with quote

The new BBC gardening programme started last week, and I it think will be worth watching as it will be giving lots of practical advice.
Here's a tip that I'm going to use straight away:
Wherever you have a clump of bulbs flowering, make a ring of garden wire around them and leave at ground level.....this way you have a reminder when the foliage has all died down.
If, like me, you forget where you plant things, this will save that awful moment when you realise you've sliced through some precious bulbs with a spade !
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Remembering where you planted bulbs Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
that awful moment when you realise you've sliced through some precious bulbs with a spade !

Oh God, I hate that feeling. wondering will they recover or just rot in the ground. thanks for the tip Sive. I have a friend who photographs all her garden when the bulbs are up then refers back to the pictures when planting. Very Happy
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: I see the light but not the bulb Reply with quote

Know exactly where ye're coming from AND going to here. Used to photo things but also used to lose/mislay the photos, the film or even the camera. I get new surprises every year as bulbs still come up in places I did not expect. It makes for fun gardening. To future locate a particular bulb for digging up in September, put an elastic band around the gathered 'leaves' at flowering and/or stick a tent peg in the ground beside it.

There is only one exception in my cormy bulbous life: snowdrops. Shift just after flowering for the best ongoing results. Grand displays and surprises this year, partly due to the funny weather and the display is ongoing 'cause ALL my bulbs are slowly coming into one part of the garden but all higgledy piggelly. It's taken eight years of messing and forgetting. Maybe I'm a reincarnated squirrel?

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't lift bulbs. survival of the fittest, etc.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: liftin' and lettin' go again Reply with quote

G'day, Medieval Kneival.
Survival of the fittest, absolutely. My bulbs started moving around as I tried to soften up my London clay beginning of the new century. Shifting barrowloads from one place to another as compost and sand went in etc. Lots of raised beds (due to my ME I have to make work easier) meant lots of soil moving around. The daffodils and grape hyacinths crocuses and snowdrops got a free ride with the barrow. Its only now I'm 'retired' and my head is going soft that I sometimes dig up misplacements. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: