Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Where have my fish gone?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Where have my fish gone? Reply with quote

Hi

We have a lovely natural fresh water pond. It's quite small - about 3 feet square and looks like is is a natural spring as the water is always fresh.

We cleared it out yesterday and then decided to free our two goldfish, one fire bellied newt and a slippery eel like fish that tended to hide underneath a saucer in the tank.

They wer reall happy when we set them free and busrt into animated life....

We have just popped down to feed them and they have all gone... I can understand that the fire bellied newt could have done a runner, but the fish?

Any ideas what could have happened to them? We don't have any sign of herons and there are no cats around.....The kids aren't that happy about it and I do feel a bit responsible

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

small pond 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.34 KB
 Viewed:  9216 Time(s)

small pond 1.jpg

small pond 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.61 KB
 Viewed:  9216 Time(s)

small pond 2.jpg

Last edited by inishindie on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the other was an eel, it's done a runner as well. They do the opposite of Salmon. They go down stream and out to sea to spawn in the Sarogaso sea (never sure how to spell that Embarassed ) and the elvers come from the sea and move up river. They will cross land very easily to get to a stream or river.
The other thing of course is, they could simply be dead, suddenly putting them out into a pond at this time of year isn't a great idea, especially if it's spring-fed which will be chilly.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, never mind.
inishindie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: aargh Reply with quote

I acclimatised them first before I put them in as I know the water was chilly. The fish and newt have been living outside in a tank for over a year with no problems and I put the fish in a bag and rested it on top of the new water for a few hours.

There isn't a flow of water that you can see, and no obvious way of exiting, the water seeps in and away very slowly.

The other fish was a fish, not an eel..... it had eel like tendancies, such as hiding under rocks.

We have had these fish and fire bellied newt for three years now and the kids were very fond of them, so this was a planned move and every precaution was taken...

If they were dead I would have thought that they would still be in the water.

I was wondering if they could have been eaten by rats...

I'll pass the message of "never mind" on to my kids......

Liparis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there no stones in the pond, or vegitation it could be hinding under? It might still be there. What's it's colour etc. If it's a natural pond it could well be lurking somewhere, but the newt is likely gone.
Your pond water, if spring-fed could also be colder than you think, it would stratify. Cold water coming in below would form a layer of very cold as opposed to the relatively warm upper layers. It wouldn't circulate and mix like it would do if warm water was coming in below.
Bill.

walltoall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: a fishy story about innocent rats and guilty birds Reply with quote

How about a heron had them for breakfast? It happens around here regularly. I've seen herons perched on nearby roofs more than once and I'm sure they were doing a recce of nearby gardens. If you put "herons ponds gardens" into google you'll see how prevalent the problem is.............
stevemc
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chased a heron at least 5 times from my garden last year lost a good few fish too
Liparis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like an old well to me. That fish, especially if it's a hider could still be there, on the other hand, it's not a very big pond and anything could have got them.
Bill.

inishindie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Couldn't resist it Reply with quote

Hi

I couldn't resist writing this weeks article for our local paper about our exploits in the pond...........

WHERE HAVE ALL THE FISH GONE?
I have been busy clearing out a small natural spring fed pond in the garden. It didn't take long as it is only about three feet around so a few mucky scoops of old leaves and it was done. I had a brainwave. We have had our fish in a small tank outside since we moved into the house about nine months ago. "Would you like to free your fish?" I ask my lads. The two goldfish and one slippery eel like thing that has hidden under an upturned saucer at the bottom of the tank ever since we bought it three years ago have survived the winter near the back door, so a taste of freedom might be what they need right now. "What about setting the fire bellied newt free too?" This creature has managed to survive for three years, all on it's own in a small tank and I thought this could do with a bit of action too. The lads agreed and off we went to put them into the cold clear water.

THE NEXT DAY
"Have you checked on the fish?" I am asking them the next day. The lads are straight back. "They have gone!" They tell me. "There's no sign of them at all. "They can't have gone." I say. "Fish just don't disappear." And I should know.

My mind wandered back to a few years ago.....

A FEW YEARS EARLIER
I had a goldfish years ago, and this one vanished out of the tank one night, it was all very mysterious. I looked high and low for it but to no avail. It wasn't until I moved out of the house four years later that the fishy skeleton was found behind the bookcase underneath the tank. The mystery was solved.

FISH SITTING
There were other times that fish went missing. These incidents were a bit more complicated as they were not my fish. "We're away for a holiday so could you look after Bill and Ben for us?" A couple I know handed me the tank at the front door of my flat "They are like children to us so look after them." They said. "No bother. I have looked after fish before." I told them reassuringly.

They were away for three weeks and I was a busy man, so didn't really think about the fish much until I got a visitor with a better sense of smell than me. As soon as he walked in Pete said, "Has something died?" His nose took him to the bowl. "What's in that? He asked. The water was green and lost any form of transparency a while ago. "Bill and Ben." I said. "Are they alive?" Pete asked, pouring the water down the sink and catching the two fish in a net.

I am not sure which one was rotting, it could have been Bill...

FISH SUPPER
I was forgiven when my friends returned. "He was a good age" they said, "I'm sure you did everything you could." "Mmm." I mumbled.

Things got back to normal and a few years later I was asked again to look after the one remaining fish. It must have been seven years old and that's probably quite a ripe old age in fishy years and they were very attached to it. "We're like old friends." I said taking the bowl off them and placing it in the middle of the table where I couldn't forget about it.

My friends drove off in their car knowing that their pet was in good hands. I had the food and the water was to be kept clear. A few moments after they left I took a trip to the local shop. I was only gone for two minutes and when I got back I noticed that the table was a bit wet. There were cat's paw prints on the table and following them with my eyes I saw something more terrifying that a scene out of the Blair Witch Project. It was the fishes tail.....The neighbours cat had got in through an open window and wasted no time in destroying any trust my friends had left in me.

BAD SITCOM
What was I to do? I did what any friend would do.

"Would you have a goldfish with a tail like this?" I was at the pet shop in town showing the member of staff the dismembered body part to a rather shocked member of staff. "Well I think we should be able to sort you out." She said politely as we made our way to the fish tanks with hundreds of potential suitors swimming around. "I'll take that one." I said eventually. I couldn't really remember what the fish looked like but I had a good feeling about this one. You see situation comedies where misguided people think that they can hoodwink someone into thinking that an animal (or fish in my case) is the original one, even after the owner has lived with them for years and know every hair on their bodies (or scales in the fishes case.)

I took it home and put it in the tank. "Job done." I thought "They won't notice."

It took less than a second for my friends to notice that their fish was looking a few years younger and that it had shrunk half an inch......

WHERE DID THEY GO?
"What's happened to them? One of my lads is asking as we get to the pond. "It could be anything, rats, herons, dogs, otters, cats, neglectful friend or even alligators...We will never know. I paused and thought about softening the blow a bit. "They might even be hiding." I said then remembered something else. A few years ago I threw their last dead fish in the fire instead of burying it or flushing it down the toilet.... You should have seen the expression on their faces as the fish filled with air and started to squeak really loudly.......I don't think we will be buying any more.

Here fishy fishy fishy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.36 KB
 Viewed:  9091 Time(s)

Here fishy fishy fishy.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: