Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Using 10-10-20 as a lawn feed

Most Recent Posts Contoneaster Dammeri
Last post: Brendankearns
Gender ID please
Last post: tagwex
Pathway
Last post: tagwex
Storing spuds? Blight??Best practice???
Last post: Good guy

Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Using 10-10-20 as a lawn feed Reply with quote

I've been using Evergreen Organic Choice lawn feed but it works out at €23 per application so based upon three applications per year that's €69.

One of my neighbours has just bought a 50kg bag of 10-10-20 for €24 and that will last about five years which equates to less than €5 per year!

I'm trying to avoid using any chemicals on my garden whatsoever in order to encourage wildlife & not pollute. Considering this is 10-10-20 an acceptable alternative?

Also, I've been using a spreader from Lidl for fertiliser etc. similar to this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7200566/Trail/searchtext%3ELAWN+SPREADER.htm but it's not very effective at distributing the granules.

I've seen larger more sophisticated ones - can anyone recommend one and where to buy it?
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 10-10-20 as a lawn feed Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you want you bread buttered on both sides Yorky.

Yorky wrote:
I've been using Evergreen Organic Choice lawn feed but it works out at €23 per application so based upon three applications per year that's €69.

Well if you buy into the organic or natural lawn myth then you must be prepared to pay. Seriously what is natural about an area of grass plants closely trimmed by a a petrol powered machine weekly. Of course a few people are cutting small lawns with manual push mowers but for the most part we are talking about 1/4 to 1/2 acre sites.

It like buying carbon credits or going to confession, the theory is you can offset the sin with a touch of penance. Bunkum I say.

Yorky wrote:
One of my neighbours has just bought a 50kg bag of 10-10-20 for €24 and that will last about five years which equates to less than €5 per year!

Provided he keeps the stored feed dry. I have seen may bags of fertiliser like concrete blocks after a year or two. Plus if the fertiliser is applied anyway heavy handed your neighbour will require a self propelled silage harvester.

Yorky wrote:

I'm trying to avoid using any chemicals on my garden whatsoever in order to encourage wildlife & not pollute. Considering this is 10-10-20 an acceptable alternative?

I know my post sounds negative, but, and I am not trying to be funny, just how organic to you reckon 10-10-20 artificial granular fertiliser is. These sort of fertilisers are made up of a batch of different chemicals such as nitrogen, phosphorous, calcium, sulphur, and potassium. Over use them and they are washed down to water sources leading to pollution.

The most organic feed you could apply to your lawn is a finely sieved and light layer of homemade compost. But it will not be that quick to take effect.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 10-10-20 as a lawn feed Reply with quote

Dr. Sunny Thomson wrote:

Provided he keeps the stored feed dry.

I would think this would be your main problem. You'd need to ensure it was absolutely airtight at all times. These fertilisers draw moisture out of thin air, just like the silica you find in electrical goods you buy nowadays.
It would probably work out a false economy, especially after 18 months.
You can always tell if your being sold old fertiliser or badly stored fertiliser by the solid lumps in it, or it may just be one solid block.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want cheap, organic lawn feed, urinate into your watering can and dilute it down.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You taking the ... Laughing Laughing
Actually, true. It's also a good weedkiller undiluted and gets into dandilion roots, doesn't kill them off completely, but stops them being a nuisance for a long time. Unfortunately, along with all else in the vicinity.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
James Kilkelly, was GPI.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Using 10-10-20 as a lawn feed Reply with quote

Yorky wrote:

I'm trying to avoid using any chemicals on my garden whatsoever in order to encourage wildlife & not pollute.

Then this will be best option option for your lawn...

Long, unmown, untreated grass and weed growth really encourages wildlife.

If prefer the closely mown grass look, a totally organic and free lawn feed is available, try this (lawn size depending)....... Nettle fertiliser, How to Brew your own.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Yorky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link but my lawn is approx.260m2 so not practical to feed it with a watering can.

Is there any merit in using the afore-mentioned Organic Choice lawn feed or should I just get some 10-10-20?
Michael196

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the bagged lawn feeds also include moss killers, that will be essential for your lawn in the long run.

I have a patch that gets the lawn feed each year and a patch that gets nothing. the 'nothing' patch now has moss coming through after about 3- 4 years.

the feed also contains weed killer, so againg the treated lawn feed have virtually no weed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: