Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Ground Cover & Weed Control

Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
How are your tomatoes doing? 2017
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
What is this plant please

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Moffo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Ground Cover & Weed Control Reply with quote

Hi, This may seem like a silly question, but here goes anyway.

We have a new garden and I would like to have a border on 3 sides of the lawn.
There is also a bank on 3 sides as well. I am planning on having the border about 2 metres wide all round, as the garden is about 25m x 12m. I would like to plant a mixture of Trees, Shrubs and Ground Cover plants.

The question is, do you put down weed control fabric, if you are planning on having a ground cover plant that will need to spread ?

Thanks for your advice.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my (limited) experience, weed control fabric is only good for a year or two, if you're putting down bark mulch on top. leaves, etc., landing on the bark mulch and rotting with the bark provide a growing medium.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ground Cover & Weed Control Reply with quote

Moffo wrote:

The question is, do you put down weed control fabric, if you are planning on having a ground cover plant that will need to spread ?

It is a good idea to put the fabric down if you have little time for weeding Moffo.
Great claims are made about groundcover plants in magazines and on TV, "oh it will supress weeds completely, you will never have to weed again.
The truth is if the soil is not weed free when you plant and kept fairly weed free in the plants first few years then you will have a right (weed) battle on your hands.
Ask any one who has tried to pull weedy grass from between the mish-mash of stems that is prostrate juniper or groundcover cotoneaster.

You will still have to keep the area free for the first few years after planting to aid establishment and closure.
This is where weed prevention fabric and a layer of mulch or a thick layer of mulch on its own comes in handy.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
brian.shaugh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would agree with other comments. Weeds will grow on top of the membrane if there is bark mulch on it. However they would be easily hand weeded out.
Secret to weeds is just to keep on top of them, don't let them get out of control but spending 5 minutes every week pulling them up.
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the quality of the weed membrame you should get more than a couple of years out of them. Whenever we are doing any improvements I find the membrame that the previous owner used and that was over 12 years ago that he put it down

The one issue I have with it is that if you use it in an area with any element of foot traffic it is prone to compaction. Our own soil is clay and all that happens is you get a layer of clay that the membrame clogs so the water just sits on the top.

In terms of an environmental aspect it is not the greatest of products and you could always use cardboard instead with a good layer of mulch on top.
[color=darkblue]
[/color]

029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
brian.shaugh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardboard - thats actually a really good idea thanks
appsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian.shaugh wrote:
would agree with other comments. Weeds will grow on top of the membrane if there is bark mulch on it. However they would be easily hand weeded out.
Secret to weeds is just to keep on top of them, don't let them get out of control but spending 5 minutes every week pulling them up.

Yes this is entirely right, I laid some weed membrane a while ago and I rung up the company I bought is from because I could see weeds after three weeks. I looked a bit stupid afterwards because it was seeds that had germinated on top of the gravel, not under the fabric. Now I spend 10 mins a weeks raking the gravel to keep weeds from growing on the top.

Idea Idea
appsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention. use harder fabric. The cheap garden centre stuff is no good. Found that out at my peril!

Alan
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laid Membrane on a Pebbled area covering approx' 1/4 acre...it was the good stuff at least that's what my Wallet told me...anyway 2yrs later it's still paying dividends...and once a week I walk the area having to actually look for the weeds and if I find a handful that's my lot...and like you said 99% are weeds growing from the stones...only one weed "Horse Tail" manages to make up the 1% that actually manages to break through the Membrane...but all in all I reckon it was a sound Investment...
The only other area you'd want to look out for is the immediate area where you have to cut the Membrane for your Plants/Trees...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: