Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

My Palm Garden

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
davidnugent
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of mature palms in ireland,the cork pics were taken at fota island.

phoinex palm cork.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.99 KB
 Viewed:  13056 Time(s)

phoinex palm cork.jpg

dwarf fan palm - cork.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.78 KB

dwarf fan palm - cork.jpg

kells garden co kerry..jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.33 KB

kells garden co kerry..jpg

palms in dublin.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.59 KB

palms in dublin.jpg

Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Liparis I can be a bit too nerdy for my own good sometimes. Old stock walltoall would run me a tight race I think. Laughing Anyway I think David edited the post now to remove the borked link.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder my kids run circles aound me with modern language and talking Irish Rolling Eyes I've a lot of learning to do Laughing
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
walltoall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1825.html

is the location of the text that goes with

DavidNugents excellent photos of Fota.

and "Bork, bork" is how a high class canine

says "Hello!" or in Oirish "Conas T'í?"

Happy All Fools Day t' y'all.

davidnugent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys i changed the photos and made them bigger.I hope maybe sometime in the future you will all give palms and exotics a go in your garden.If you dont try you will never know.I tryed and they do grow,and with global warming a fact,we can grow anything in the coming years.best of luck,dave.
hawthorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David, love all your palms, what fertilizer do you use for the palms? if any. i would be interested in growing a few.
davidnugent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to grow exotics make sure it`s in well drained soil,john innes no 2 or 3 compost is best, mixed with some sharp sand and stones.in spring i put a high phosphourus fertilizer that gives it strong roots.in summer it`s nitrogen and tons of water for foliage,and in and around the end of august potash for cell thickness and energy storage for the winter.A slow release fertilizer can also be used.or chicken pellets which are very high in nitrogen.put do not over feed palms it can kill them once every 6 weeks is fine.loads of water in the summer is what they realy love.All palms have a growing point in the center called a spear, never cut this,it`s the part of the plant that produces all the new growth.Here Are some other parks in this country that grow palms and exotic plants www.bamboo-park.com www.kellsgardens.ie
davidnugent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some detail on an irish garden favourite,"The Cordyline".Cordylines come originally from the warmer climates of Polynesis,India,South America and New Zealand,where they played an important role in Maori culture.Cordyline Australis was believed to have sacred properties,and was yoused to keep evil spirits at bay,Its roots could be cooked and eaten,providing a valuable sourse of carbohydrate,while its tough,resilient leaves were put to a wide variety of uses.Uniquely architectural in shape,cordylines have had a powerful impact on the history of garden and lanscape design,where their stricking fountains of foliage will soften lines and add emphasis.A stunning evergreen shrub, the cordyline thrives in a sunny or lightly shaded spot,prun by cuting of the brown leaves,feeding will help to keep your cordyline in good condition.They also come in a wide range of colours, and grow very well here in ireland.
walltoall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: cordyline or yucca Reply with quote

David
That's a fascinating post and I thank you for it. I have three 'cordylines' or maybe they are 'yuccas'. How do I easily tell the difference? The biggest one is at least eight years old and has flowered more than once since wqe came here. My research shows cordyline as native to New Zealand and the pacific islands. Yucca seems native to desert regions of the USA and may need special means of pollination in the British Isles?

davidnugent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,There is many different types of yucca,but the closest looking one to a cordyline australis is a yucca elephantipes,from a distance its hard to tell them apart,they have wider ticker leaves, a little bit more spiky.if you can post a picture i can tell you.There is a few big ones in gardens around galway,There is fifteen named species of cordyline to date,yes they are native to new zealand,australia & new guinea,but cordyline fruitcosa, which is growing in the previous post countrys is valued for its starchy rhizomes as food.I think we should take ireland in as well,we have no problem growing them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: