Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Strange weed around my house

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Strange weed around my house Reply with quote

The plant in the picture enclose has popped up all around my house. I have not noticed any flowers on it. Is it a problemweed? If it is how should I go about removing it?
Thanking you.

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Euphorbia helioscopia AKA sun spurge / madwoman's milk Reply with quote

Hello Dr.Sunny.

As far as I can make out the weed is Euphorbia helioscopia commonly known as sun spurge or madwoman's milk.
The common name refers to the milky white sap the stems exude when cut or pulled, a highly poisonous sap hence the name madwoman's milk.
This weed is classified as a class "A" noxious weed and is toxic when eaten by cattle and horses

It dies each winter only to return the following spring by its previous years shed seed.
It usually grows to a height of about 40 centimetres (16 inches) and flowers between April and July.
It can be removed by hoeing or hand pulling, with gloves recommended due to the irritating effects of the sap.
Avoid rubbing your eyes or face after handling the weed and always wash with warm water afterwards.
It can also be controlled chemical means, do this by spraying the weed before flowering with the lawn weedkiller "Verdone 2".

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Is it a problen weed ? . On a scale of 1 to 10 ( 10 being the worst ) I would give it a lowly 1
Cool Bugs

Desmo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Laughing Is it a problen weed ? . On a scale of 1 to 10 ( 10 being the worst ) I would give it a lowly 1
Cool Bugs

10 would be something that was carnivourous and smelt of rotting flesh and caused subsidence of any buildings nearby and caused temporary blindness and incontinence just by being seen. Horsetail is a 9.5.
Spurge is a 1 alright.

Des
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmo wrote:
Bugs wrote:
Laughing Is it a problem weed ? . On a scale of 1 to 10 ( 10 being the worst ) I would give it a lowly 1
Cool Bugs

10 would be something that was carnivorous and smelt of rotting flesh and caused subsidence of any buildings nearby and caused temporary blindness and incontinence just by being seen. Horsetail is a 9.5.
Spurge is a 1 alright.

Des

Laughing Horsetail was used in former times for cleaning pots and pans because of the high silica content . I had to get rid of it on an all weather sand based pitch where there was no problem spraying . I tried Roundup , SBK , and various other products and thought I was successful over a period of two years spraying . I got a call this year to spray again , when I went out there were beautiful healthy plants growing there , definitely 9.5
Cool Bugs

Desmo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Desmo wrote:
Bugs wrote:
Laughing Is it a problem weed ? . On a scale of 1 to 10 ( 10 being the worst ) I would give it a lowly 1
Cool Bugs

10 would be something that was carnivorous and smelt of rotting flesh and caused subsidence of any buildings nearby and caused temporary blindness and incontinence just by being seen. Horsetail is a 9.5.
Spurge is a 1 alright.

Des

Laughing Horsetail was used in former times for cleaning pots and pans because of the high silica content . I had to get rid of it on an all weather sand based pitch where there was no problem spraying . I tried Roundup , SBK , and various other products and thought I was successful over a period of two years spraying . I got a call this year to spray again , when I went out there were beautiful healthy plants growing there , definitely 9.5
Cool Bugs

I have heard that the horsetail is partly resistant to roundup because it just washes off. Three possible solutions (never tried any so presumably they do not work Smile I have heard are: 1) mix up wallpaper paste using glyphosphate solution instead of water and paste on; 2) bruise each plant before applying; 3) you can get roundup specially formulated to stick to horsetail; 4) consider it as an ongoing business opportunity.

Des
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Wax on, Wax off Reply with quote

I would be interested to try that wallpaper paste solution, Des.

It seems that horse tail or mares tail as some people call it has a waxy outer coating which the glyphosate cannot penetrate before being washed off.
I have found in the past that mixing a main part glyphosate with a lesser part SBK brushwood killer has been quite effective (by that I mean it still took two years applications to almost totally remove the weed).
The SBK's paraffin type content seems to break the horse tails outer coating allowing the glyphosate to enter.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Desmo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wax on, Wax off Reply with quote

GPI wrote:
I would be interested to try that wallpaper paste solution, Des.

It seems that horse tail or mares tail as some people call it has a waxy outer coating which the glyphosate cannot penetrate before being washed off.
I have found in the past that mixing a main part glyphosate with a lesser part SBK brushwood killer has been quite effective (by that I mean it still took two years applications to almost totally remove the weed).
The SBK's paraffin type content seems to break the horse tails outer coating allowing the glyphosate to enter.

have a look at http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.gardening
and search using the Search This Group button using
wallpaper paste and/or horsetail and you get dozens and dozens of hits.
Here is what one person said:

"A very invasive and prehistoric plant. Difficult to eradicate completely.
Heres the tips. In september, you dress the plants with a systemic
weedkiler - with glyphosate. I mix some wallpaper paste in with the
solution and paint it in the plants. You need to do this regularly, and you
will eventually get on top of the problem. Weedkilling in the early summer
will have no long term benefit I'm afraid - wait till the autumn.
Here speaks a man who once had a major horsetail problem - and conquered
it!!

David"

Des
Dr. Sunny Thomson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on my sun spurge weed everybody. It seems this topic has developed into a weedathon. I'm picking loads of good weed info.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news re spurge:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12275507
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: