Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Recommend a nice tree for side of house

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
colin79ie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Recommend a nice tree for side of house Reply with quote

I would like to plant a nice tree at the side lawn at our house. The space is not big so something that is either slow growing or doesn't grow too big.

My wife likes the cherry blossom and I think I seen a weeping cherry blossom in Aldi today? Anyhting that would be colourful would be nice.

One concern I have is that the house sewerage pipe runs under this lawn and I would like to know if there is any possibility that the sewerage pipe could get damaged through time by a tree's roots. I have no knowledge of trees or roots or anything. I am a beginner gardner.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, a tree's roots equal the span of it's branches. So, you need to choose a tree with that in mind and plant it an appropriate distance from what you don't want damaged by them, erring on the side of generosity.
You could go for flowering cherry or ornamental crabs, flowers, then fruit for the wildlife later with the crabs, plus they can be as floriferous as the cherries. So whatever you choose, give it lots of room from your sewerage pipes. If your stuck for space to do that then go for the more shrubby types of cherries, or even just shrubs.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromise maybe, half shrub, half tree. Amelanchier grows well here in Ireland on neutral or acid soils (no lime). White flowers in March and April and green leaves that turn orange and red in autumn. Dark purple berries sometimes appear in summer. Here is a pic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: