Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

worms good or bad ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Pick out the the male of the species
Last post: marlin vs
MORE CROWS
Last post: The Fly
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!
Last post: mllejules
such vigorous, hardy flowering
Last post: mllejules

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Them wums Reply with quote

Blownin
Listen to Liparis. If your rotavator has softened the ground to 12" you have got to stage one and you'll loosened up the blue clay. No worms, no tilth. Tilth is the state of aggregation of a soil especially in relation to its suitability for crop growth. I have London clay in most of my garden and it is like Márla but it has worms. They are little skinny worms. In a part of the garden where I have been recycling garden and kitchen waste, the ground is so soft I can lift whole shovelsfull, the worms are fat! Charles Darwin studied worms during his formulation of "the origin of species" and his scientific descendents have shown that earthworms process ten tons of soil per acre per year. Dumping cans of worms into your garden will not ensure they will stay and thrive but you have nothing to lose. You gotta have the humus. Are you near enough the sea to collect seaweed. However if you do what Liparis says and give the plot a right ding dong dung ing the worms that come with the dung 'll get to work at once. You can always know if worms are active in a fallow field after rain 'cause their 'casts' show up as squiggly little markers whereever there is a bald patch. How's the Banner hangin' in?

blownin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waltoall
Yeh not far from the sea, between Doolin Fanore & Lisdoon, i can get the sea weed no problem. I'm going to build a large 3 or 4 bay compost bin out of pallets next week, i can get large amounts of veg peellings, frends of mine have a pub / resteraunt in lisdoon and they have just started to have there bin weighed, charged by the weight of it, plus i have a lot of grass clippings that will go into it. No leaf's around hear though, the banners flighing high
walltoall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Come on the banner Reply with quote

If you can get seaweed or as it sometimes known 'wore' , put it straight onto the garden. Basically there will be two types, 'wrack' with all the little balls and black in colour and the large leaf which is a lovely brown. You might find carageen which is edible and pinkish or stone coloured! Take the wore from the high tide mark specially after storms at sea and at spring tides. Don't try to compost seaweed. The salt in it won't go well with the bacteria in good compost. Put it in straight. its ability to absorb water and dry out quickly means it decomposes in soil very easily and the bit of salt washes away harmlessly. It is also full of trace elements, metals and other goodies that will enrichen your soil over time to an unbelievable rate and stuff growing in that enrichment will end up in your body as you eat the produce of your garden. BTW, in case the thought police are invading the banner, it is legal to lift seaweed off the foreshore, but it is not legal to pinch sand or gravel. Not that that ever stopped anybody.

I lived outside Ballyvaughan at one time and I love the banner and its people with a passion! Here's a bit of a song I sing, from your neck of the woods. I used to climb Slieve Callan too! To the very top. On midsummer's day! You ain't lived til you/ve been up there.

" Walking all the day, near tall towers where falcons build their nests
Siver-winged they fly, they know the call of freedom in their breasts
Saw Black Head against the sky,
between the rocks that run down to the sea
Living on your western shore,
saw summer sunsets, asked for more
I stood by your Atlantic sea
and sang a song for Ireland."

blownin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully sung Walltoal
I'll be fishing around Fanore when the sea calms down a bit, i'm sure they wont miss a few bags now and again.
Tiger worms or earthworms and where can you buy a kilo or two of them?
I've been looking on the net but they want to sell bins with taps at the bottom off them, with the worms ?
Liparis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these blowin. Worms on their own £30.00 per Kilo, you shouldn't need to buy more in the future http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=96&-session=shopper:D464FAD90808d387AFSViU5C7488
or try Mayo County Council for list of suppliers, it's big business these days.
http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/ReduceReuseRecycle/Composting/WormComposting/
There's hundreds more, Ive considered going into farming them myself and might still do.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: