Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Great Green Give away?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Great Green Give away? Reply with quote

Congrats to the new Allotment site.....Here's a bit from the greens....

GREAT GREEN GIVE AWAY
Trevor Sargent, the Minister of Agriculture and Food (Green Party) is launching a Get Ireland Growing campaign at the end of the month. He says "with the recession and the growing problem of food security, (this idea)...is finally gaining traction." He continues. "People have started to realise that it's much more economical to grow their own food and seed companies are recording record sales." He is highlighting the fact that Ireland will not be able to import all of the food it needs and that countries like China and Africa, who currently supply us with onions and beans, will need to keep the food for themselves and says that the Get Ireland Growing Campaign is "aimed at everyone who eats."
In the not too distant future our local councils should be getting information and merchandise to distribute to anyone interested in growing their own. We should be getting trowels, seeds, markers and gardening gloves.

IT'S THE COUNCILS REMIT TO PROVIDE ALLOTMENTS
Trevor Sargent and John Gormley, the Environment Minister, have been trying to convince local authorities to convert waste ground into allotments. "Under the Local Government Act of 2001, local authorities have a remit to provide allotments to people in response to any demand." Says Sargent. So it's time to vote with your feet. The Green party will be giving postcards to anyone who thinks an allotment is a good idea for their area can send it in to the local authority expressing their interest.

Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Great Green Give away? Reply with quote

inishindie wrote:
...Trevor Sargent and John Gormley, the Environment Minister, have been trying to convince local authorities to convert waste ground into allotments. "Under the Local Government Act of 2001, local authorities have a remit to provide allotments to people in response to any demand."...
...The Green party will be giving postcards to anyone who thinks an allotment is a good idea for their area can send it in to the local authority expressing their interest.

I don't understand the 'trying to convince' part, if it's government remit, they should be telling them. For God's sake, get the gloves off!
Where can one get these postcards, they are just what I need for my part in this fight, I'll distribute them to the local village school and any kid's parents that are interested can send them in. My advice, get up folks and do something similar to spread the word. The Green Party should be shouting even louder than they are doing.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Bobwilliams
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote catching to be honest. Nothing done all along, then all of a sudden movement when elections are coming up. Oh the irony if the postcards turn out to be printed on anything other than 100% recycled paper. I will be watching this one closely, ready with my irony hammer. Razz
Tobar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this proposal, and always thought this is they way things should have been going.

However, without getting too political, the Green Party have sold their soul to the Devil, given up on all their beliefs, and stabbed their loyal followers in the back. Why? for a piece of the power cake.

They'll never be taken seriously again, and hopefully will never get into power again once their ousted.

Anger & betrayed doesn't come close to how I feel about this shower now. Anyway, I'll stop before I burst a blood vessel Mad

Last edited by Tobar on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not think the green party should have turned down a chance at being a junior coalition partner when it was offered to them.
they have achieved far, far more as a junior coalition partner than they ever would as a minor opposition party. their decision was the right one.
the whole reason for starting a political party is to try to gain a piece of the power cake.
nemo
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: all talk no action Reply with quote

green schools
our local school got 2 strawberry plants and a few vegetable less than 20 seeds. that's it ,they promised more but again all talk no action how are they going to share the fruit from two strawberry plants with the school children.they will need to be able to do long division
Sarah Evans

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is pretty poor Nemo. Last year we gave pumpkin seeds, compost, pots and information sheets to 14 local national schools. No cost to the school's. I know a large diy/homestore is also giving away seeds etc. Nearest store would be in Killarney.
029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
nemo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: school gardens Reply with quote

hello Sarah could you please let me know the name of the shop in killarney that have free seeds for schools the school is in portmagee county kerry .if you have any other information that might benefit the school children could you let me know.thanks
nemo
Sarah Evans

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo we will send you on something and I will private message you with details
029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the cutbacks have put a stop to new allotments

"FINGAL COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING

WEDNESDAY 15TH APRIL 2009

ITEM NO. 12 - Tyrrlestown allotments
Question: Councillor J. Corr

"To ask the Manager when the new allotments at Tyrrelstown will be open, how many of these are reserved for current allotment holders vacating other sites in Dublin 15, what is the current waiting list for allotments in the Dublin 15 area and how many allotments could be provided in the second phase at Tyrrelstown?"

Reply:
The construction works have been completed with the exception of the electricity supply. We have engaged the ESB to carry out these works and we anticipate completion within the next two months.

All those who vacated allotments in Cappogue will be accommodated in the new development and approximately 100 allotments will be allocated to those on the waiting list.

There are no plans to construct a second phase at this location due to current budgetary constraints.
"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: