Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Starting from Scratch on Concrete

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
SweetBean
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Starting from Scratch on Concrete Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am about to move to an apartment where we will be renting and as I love gardening having access to outside space was a must-have when viewing. Well, we've found the place and the Landlord is happy to let us do pretty much anything with the space.

It seems to be concrete though and I was wondering how I go about putting beds in without having to drill or crack up the concrete. He has plastic sheeting down with some woodchip on top but some of the plastic has come away and I'm pretty sure its all concrete underneath.

I would love to have some gorgeous shrubs, climbers, flowers and a veggie patch but I don't know where to start! Here's a photo of what its like now:

Exclamation Edited by moderator to fix image link.
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do a lot with large pots or planters with out having to disturb the concrete. If you put down some large wooden sleeper type beds, with a good few inches of soil you could grow almost anything.

I have had some really good results with growing clematis in a very large pot, and it has flowered for years.

and if you get the height right with the raised beds they can double as seats.

Hope this helps
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as barremic. That tree looks a worry though, it's overhanging quite a bit. I don't know about Ireland, but in the UK you can ask your neighbour to prune it back, failing his doing that, you can do it. If it's a fruit tree, you can collect the fallen fruit if you leave the tree as is, but you can't take it off the tree. But why spoil such a nice tree when we need them. Point is, you will have to take the increasing shade from that tree into consideration.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go to the trouble and expense of raised beds, you need to consider how long you will be renting this apartment, and also whether the landlord will want the space "tidied up" when you leave. Pots and grow-bags may be the better way to go as they could all be moved to your next home, and will give you lots of pleasure and keep you busy!
I would see the tree as a plus, personally, and how much it will shade you depends on the orientation of the "garden".
verge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I would do is absolutely load the branches of the tree on your side with bird feeders. Even if you never grow anything you will have the benefit of watching all the bird life.
SweetBean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone. The Tree is in the north so it shouldn't be too much trouble, I really like it. SInce we won't be able to plant any ourselves yet! Thanks for the tip on the clematis, I love them and I think I will design a really nice potted garden in a circular pattern for us to sit inside of Smile Thanks again, you've been great help!
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: unique Reply with quote

Strange to cover concrete with plastic and woodchip.... If you moved it away you could fill the area up with water and use it as a swimming pool.........There's a very nice looking Austin Cambridge on the road...Nothing to do with the garden but interesting none the less..

Best of luck with it and show us the photo's when you have done your stuff

Ian

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inishindie, all I can say is you have amazing eyesight! I can just about see cars......how you recognized a particular make beats me.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: time Reply with quote

Probably too much time on my hands.........I'm a bit of an anorak when it comes to cars from the 1960's..One of my favourites I had in the 1980's was a '64 Ford Zephyr...but that's probably for another forum.....

Ian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: