Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

B & Q Seed Potatoes

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lius
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: B & Q Seed Potatoes Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have been away from vegtable gardening for 30 years and have just finished digging and fencing-off 1/2 of the back garden to keep the dog out. I also bought B&Q Pentland Javeline and Nicola potatoe seed plus Onion sets a couple of weeks ago and they seem a bit slow chitting.

So far there are only small sprouts starting, am I too impatient?

Does anyone know if these B&Q seeds are OK?

When should I put them down? (I was thinking of St. Patricks day).

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: B & Q Seed Potatoes Reply with quote

Lius wrote:
Hi All,

So far there are only small sprouts starting, am I too impatient?

When should I put them down? (I was thinking of St. Patricks day).

You may be a bit impatient, it will depend on temperatures. It shouldn't matter the source as to whether the spuds will chit or not, but it may depend on the source, the quality. I've never had problems with any of B&Q's seeds, bulbs etc.
If you mean planting your spuds, that may be a wee bit soon 17th March. I hear people talk about making sure the spuds are in at Easter, which is probably the most misleading advice of all, when you consider Easter can vary as much as three weeks from one year to the next.
I haven't even got my seed potatoes yet, never panic, plant them when the soil begins to warm, I've never had spuds in before the second week in April. I promise you, they will catch up. The main thing is when they stick there noses above the soil and along comes a frost, that slows them as well as possibly burning them, so if frost is forecast, out you go and either put fleece on or as I do, draw some soil over them.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: B & Q Seed Potatoes Reply with quote

Lius wrote:

I was posting on this B&Q seed thread recently and the overall view was that they were as good as any. http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1966.html
barremic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lius,

I have the B&Q ones as well, and have had them in a cool bright room now for about 4 weeks and they are only starting to chit, about 1cm from spud. But they seem fine.

I was hoping to put them out this weekend too, I have a sheltered raised bed for them to go in. I know I should really wait till easter, but the soil has warmed up a good bit this week. And i will cover them
Will be planting the onions out too.

hope this helps
Lius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Thank's ALL Reply with quote

Thank you for such a fast reply, a very helpful site.

I think I will wait until the end of March and plant everything together, my beds are ready to go. We are off to Orlando for two weeks on 31st March so there won't be much above ground before I get back to get damaged by frost and my plot is very sheltered.

I'm planting First Early Potatoes, Carrots, Onion sets, Mangtout seed, Spinnach seed, Cabbage plants and Lettuce seed. I'm going for the easy options for my first year back.

I'm also leaving space for later potatoes and I'm planning to put spring cabbage down in the space when I harvest the first early potatoes.
spider
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all , Have just put in potatoes ,peas . onions , today . Weather seems to have warmed up a bit, also buds coming on most trees and shrubs.So i took a chance have to wait and see now ,
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you folks fair with these seed potatoes last year?
Good crops?

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: B&Q seed pots Reply with quote

I used B&Q seed pots last year and they were as good as any, have more this year , 3 weeks of chitting, slow as u say but then the opinions on chitting or not chitting seems to be divided.
Lius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: B&Q Spuds Reply with quote

James,

Wow that's a March 2009 posting you were replying to.

Anyway the B&Q seed potatoes grew fine in 2009 but I was not mad about the flavour, I thought they were a bit bland.

Last year I planted Colleen (1st early) and Orla (2nd early), I got those seed from Mr. Middleton, the flavour was much better.

This year I'm planning to put everything in raised beds including potatoes, my back cannot take the digging and weeding of regular row gardening. I have well rotted horse manure on the way and I will mix that with Vermiculite and Moss Peat as per the square foot method (i.e. 1/3 of each). I'm still waiting for the book in the post, has anyone tried this method? Any tips on how to manage earthing-up spuds in raised beds?
BlackBird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: B&Q Spuds Reply with quote

Lius wrote:

This year I'm planning to put everything in raised beds including potatoes, my back cannot take the digging and weeding of regular row gardening. Any tips on how to manage earthing-up spuds in raised beds?

I have heard of folks sowing the spuds through slits in black plastic to prevent the need of earthing them up. It may be an option with your bad back.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
ian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lius,
I planted B&Q earlies and lates and had no problem with flavour or quantity. I plant them in a raised bed earlies 6 inches deep and mains 10-12inches deep and close together too, no need for earthing up at all, just make sure the soil is well dug over in the bed and never tread on it. I plant in late January or early February and cover with glass till April. harvest in May.
Regards, Ian.
Lius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking working similar to your planting schedule using a raised bed with a cloche over to get the earlies possible spuds with the least work. I have not used raised beds before but I think they migh solve a lot of problems, what do you think of 12" high beds for spuds?

BTW - I didn't have any problem with the B&Q spuds, they were just not as tasty as the Mr. Middleton's IMHO.

Your modu-gro system looks interesting, hows that going?
ian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beds don't need to be 12 inches high but seeds need to be about 12" deep, i use scafolding boards and forked slight ly below them mixed clay and a ton of compost and manure into each bed, (3'x6') 2 years ago time for top up now as those beds have never been idle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: