Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Is it too soon to sow my veg?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
michelle M
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Is it too soon to sow my veg? Reply with quote

This is my first year sowing veg. I have built raised beds and now I am dying to get started. I'm sowing onions, carrots, cabbage, turnip and pea's. Sweet corn later. I've been reading all the topics here on rotation, which one's should be sown together or apart etc, now I want to sow!!!! Very Happy What about if we get more frost or are soil temp's high enough now. I need advice please.
I was also wondering about dwarf pea's, what height support do they need?
breezyacre
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Most of the above would be grown from seed which goes straight into its final growing place. I think it is still far too cold for seeds outdoors. You could safely wait till April or even the middle of April even. With regard to the cabbage; it is often sold as bare rooted plants or indeed as small plants in plugs. When you see them for sale will be a good indication to you as to when to plant. If you are growing these from seed as well I would wait until April also. Cabbage seeds can be sown in a seed bed and then transplanted to their final growing place when they are about 9 inches tall. Laughing

barremic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to hold back at the moment for planting, with the sun finally coming out again.

I have started off a few of my seedlings indoors in a cold room. so they can be ready to harden off during the day in the next couple of weeks.

broad beans and peas mostly as they are easy to pot up.
but i am putting in my onion sets this weekend, the ground feels warm enough and a tiny bit of frost didnt bother them last year.

as for the dwarf peas, it should say on the packet what their max height will be, and use support for that height, i had some last year and when they got too tall and fell over, i just pinched the tips to stop them getting any better.

im only at the veg growing bit about 2 years now so i hope this helps
michelle M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I'll relax about it so for a while and try to get other things done. I'll check the packet of pea seeds again. I didn't notice a height on it. I thought I had read it carefully Confused
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sow the peas now indoors if you cannot wait! They are better started inside as they are prone to being stolen by mice . I have some about 8ins tall and a second sowing just through. They will be hardened off and go outside in a couple of weeks. The bed is ready , covered by fleece to warm the ground up a little and will remain in place over them until danger of frost is past. If you have saved any loo rolls they are ideal for peas as they have a long root system, or 2 or 3 sheets of newspaper cut to size like a loo roll, fill with compost and put in the seed. When you are putting them outside there is no root disturbance as you bury the whole thing in the soil. I sowed pea seeds in these on the 7th march and they were through today. i soaked the seeds overnight in warm water.
Its all about trying things out ,seeing what grows and how and most of all enjoy!!

allotment_003.JPG
 Description:
Loo rolls and newpaper pots
 Filesize:  36.44 KB
 Viewed:  3465 Time(s)

allotment_003.JPG

allotment 006.JPG
 Description:
pea bed covered with fleece
 Filesize:  116.52 KB
 Viewed:  3465 Time(s)

allotment 006.JPG

Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sowed Early Nantes carrots this morning in barrells. Fingers crossed! Smile
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our carrots did great in the barrels, this year they are going in the ground. make sure you have drainage holes in the barrels and dont forget to water, 2 mistakes we made as one barrel was waterlogged and the second one nearly dried out before we realised.
michelle M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Ph'lib wrote:
Sowed Early Nantes carrots this morning in barrells. Fingers crossed! Smile

Are they sowed outside, uncovered or protected from frost somehow. I have that variety of carrots too and I am impatiently waiting to sow them Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: