Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn Aerator/Scarifier from Lidl

Most Recent Posts Best solution for slugs?
Last post: Sue Deacon
Fertiliser for shrubs in flower bed
Last post: tagwex
Share A Tips Info:How Long Do Organic Carrots Last
Last post: Julia_Garden
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Lawn Aerator/Scarifier from Lidl Reply with quote

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of the upcoming offer from Lidl http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090312.p.LawnAeratorScarifier ?

I usually hire a commercial type scarifier from a local plant hire for €25 per half day. It's bigger than the Lidl one but doesn't have an aerator.

Based upon using it once a year it would pay for itself in four years.

Any thoughts?
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness to Lidl they certainly do offer the cost alternative, in relation to problems afterwards, how are u fixed, thats the only question I'd have
Digger Dan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorky,

I was considering this special from Aldi too but don't think it would do the job for me. I have a badly compacted lawn, very wet with lots of moss. From what I read it would appear that I should use a hollow tined aerator that would actually remove a plug of soil, leaving the hole to be filled with sandy loam.

This Aldi one looks like it has solid tines that simply pushes a hole into the ground, not really helping an already compacted soil.
The scarifier part probably would work fine but how deep can you go with the blades? I suspect the commercial ones would offer greater adjustment on depth? This might not be a concern on a reasonably maintained lawn that just needs an annual clean up.

I'm interested in your experience of the hire unit, do they do a good job in cleaing out well established moss and thatch? Do you need the lawn to dry out first or can you use them when ground still wet?

ALDI/LIDL do great bargains on garden and power tools but I've mixed views on their long term value. I bought one of these cordless trimmers a few years ago thinking it would be very useful around the garden. http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090312.p.FloraBestCordlessGrassHedgeTrimmer
But it turned out to be practically useless and I returned to an old hand clippers and good secuteurs. I bought one of their shiney chrome forks too which the prongs twisted on after a bit of heavy digging (in our clay soil!). I would have been better to pay twice the price for a forged True Temper fork.

But since I haven't used either a scarifier or aerator yet I'm probably not best placed to comment!!

Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ wrote:
... in relation to problems afterwards, how are u fixed, thats the only question I'd have

If you mean breakdowns/repairs etc. I and many others can vouch for their after-sales service. They sell top brand telescopes at Christmas. I know a few people who had problems with theirs, tracking etc. problems with computer motors. A quick phone call to Lidl always had either the required part or full replacement scope sent out free of charge, yet that telescope bought elswhere would set you back around 250 euro, Lidl charge 160 euro!
They actually do care for their own reputation, which can't be said about many larger more expensive chains. I would bet a pound to your penny if one of their cheap plants failed in your garen, they wouldn't hesitate in shipping you out a replacement. Understandably, many people feel they can't complain about failures because it's so cheap to begin with. With Lidl, you couldn't be more wrong. No point them offering you all that stuff, then it being so bad you never go back. OK you get what you pay for, but often you get more.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: scarified for life Reply with quote

At 100 euros (about £90uk) its a snip. Best prices in UK for a similar start at 125 squids and climb rapidly to 200+.

However 100euros spent is 100euros gone on a tool you will only use at most once a year. Rest of the time it's in storage and unless you clean it scrupulously before you store it, it'll be manky next year. Over the years I found that anything you don't use once a month you don't need. And anything your neighbour borrows once a month you won't have shortly. The bottom line question is have you a satisfactory result on your lawn with the hired tool? Other questions for the pot. Will the cost of hire be €50 a half-day next year? Have you a free space to store your own machine all year? Can you hide it from your neighbour?

breezyacre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a scarifier ( spelling doesn't look right) which I hired, over the past ten years to clear the lawn of moss before the summer mowing. I achieved the best results in may as the moss was dryer and there was less volume of moss to be brought to the recycling centre as a result. I agree with the point about hiring this machine as you will use it about once a year. Let someone else store and maintain it is my idea. The hired model is a big brute of a thing which leaves your lawn looking the worst for wear for about a week but thereafter you reap the benefits as it will be much easier to mow. On the quality of Lidl/Aldi and after sales service; as has been said I have found them second to none. I have an electric chainsaw and a power hedge trimmer. I have had to have the hedgetrimmer repaired. Once I produced the receipt though it was plain sailing after that. Wink
AJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the after sales service is that good, they have a new customer, I've always held back because of the issues I've had in the past with buying cheap and finding no aftersales service. Thanx for the tip Wink
Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn Aerator/Scarifier from Lidl Reply with quote

[quote="Yorky"]Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of the upcoming offer from Lidl http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090312.p.LawnAeratorScarifier ?

Well having seen this topic (and we have a serious moss problem) we decided it was worth speculating €100 as we would need a hired one for more than half a day. We laid this lawn three and a half years ago and have never scarified or aeriated it. We went and purchased one on Thursday morning. We can't believe how good it is! It is quite light and easy to use and it lifted so much moss from our lawn. We gave up using the box after a short time because it filled up too quickly. We raked it up with a lawn rake and filled it into a wheelbarrow. We took 50 full barrows of moss (it is a large lawn) and that was just with the aeriator! We will let it rest for about a week and then scarify it. We did it over two days and we now have the machine to do it again when it needs doing. Definitely a good investment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: