Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

tomato blight?

Most Recent Posts Gravel Drive towed rake??
Last post: kindredspirit
the first of 2020
Last post: ponddigger
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!
Last post: Greengage
Whitewash for the fruit trees, any chance to get it in IRL?
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
breezyacre
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: tomato blight? Reply with quote

Hi, I know we've just had two extremely wet summers but I have had brown spots on the leaves of my tomatoes the last two years. My tunnel was well aerated. Didn't notice this on any other plants I viewed. The variety was moneymaker? I don't have any images but the leaves got these brown spots and then started to shrivel and die. Have scoured the net looking for clues and think it might have been blight. If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. Rolling Eyes
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like blight, or just plain old scorch on wet leaves. How was the fruit? When blight strikes tomatoes it is usually black, as the fruit grows and ripens it does the same to them. But I suppose blight could apear as brown.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: blight on tomatoes Reply with quote

Also blight usually kills tomato plants totally and very quickly. Outdoor tomatoes in Irealnd are subject to blight when grown in the same parish as potatoes. If you got wet conditions favouring blight (and I bet the Met service still includes that in it's Summer weather forecasts), your tommies are in dire ......

If however, the toms grew and thrived and you got fruits ongoing it was not blight. It was scorch on wet leaves as Liparis suggests. But then you had them in tunnels and it was not a sunny Summer. This one could run>

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like blight to me. A similar spray to that used for blight on potatoes should help. gotta start it as soon as you stop the plants though (nip the main shoot out).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: