Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Pond revamp - recommend someone to redesign and reinstall

Most Recent Posts Huge storm takes out Sequoia
Last post: Sue Deacon
Indoor sowing.
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
No Herbicide please
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
coolaboola
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Pond revamp - recommend someone to redesign and reinstall Reply with quote

I have a small pond (circa 2 m x 1 m, vaguely kidney-shaped) in a raised bed (which is not much bigger) in my garden. This is the pond's second incarnation as we (he and me) rebuilt the first version because we wanted to try and incoroporate a small waterfall feature as well as try to cure the problem of visible liner.

The waterfall feature never worked properly and the pond has looked very forlorn since. My heart sinks at the thought of starting all over again for a third time so I'm seriously contemplating hiring someone (much) more competent than me (not hard) to revamp the pond.

Can anyone recommend someone to do such a job? Professional, enthusiastic (and preferably experienced) amateur or horticultural student, I don't mind. And what is such a job likely to cost?

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
stevemc
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been to this guys place in the past for a few water plants he might be able to help you
http://www.pondhobby.com/?gclid=CP230r_11ZkCFYE_3godKwRfaA
Or here
http://www.ratoathgardencentre.ie/
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might actually help to get a response if we knew which area/county you are in so recomendations can be made Wink
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Rockworld Water Features

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we cant self promote ourselves here please allow me to give you some advice.
Waterfalls require a good flow rate from a pump to be effective. To size the pump for a waterfall you need to know how wide the water fall is and then examine pump performance curves at the height the waterfall is above the pond water. For example a 30cm wide waterfall at 100 cm above the pond will require a pump capable of 4000 litres per hour as a minimum.
You can get away with a smaller pump if you narrow the gap where the water flows out.
Second tip is to have a good overhang (at least 4 cm ) where the water overflows and also to make the overhang as level as possible. This will ensure that the water flows outwards and into your pond.
Regarding hiding the liner, this is always a problem where the ground arround the pond is uneven. There are several answers that will solve this problem. You could use marginal plants to hide the liner or you could use rounded rocks sloped upto edge. Alternatively you can get liner that is covered in small pebbles to disguise the liner. Try a search for "stone liner" and I'm sure you will find several retailers.
Lastly there may be no need to start your pond all over again once it is not leaking. It probably just needs a bit of tender care. Costs will vary, but as with everything you pay for what you get. It's probably cheaper to pay a professional once and have the job done properly. Who ever you get to do the work, make sure they know what they are doing.
Liparis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockworld Water Features wrote:
It's probably cheaper to pay a professional once and have the job done properly. Who ever you get to do the work, make sure they know what they are doing.

Very important. There is nothing more frustrating, not to mention costly, than re-doing someone elses faulty pond work.
Bill.

coolaboola

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses.

Quite correct, Bill. Location would be helpful. I'm in Kimmage, Dublin 12.

Rockworld, thanks for your tips, noted.

Stevemc, thanks for the links - I'll look into them.

So far three people have been out to look and quote.

The first seemed reasonably knowledgable but then got a bigger job so declined to quote in the end.

The second's quote didn't include obvious (to me anyway) stuff like new kerb stones for around the pond to disguise the liner and he didn't really seem to be taking on board what I wanted.

The third was even more expensive (though in fairness he was quoting for a slightly larger scope of work). But I haven't seen his previous work. And its a lot of money. Hmm.
Liparis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought anyone would turn down paid work at the moment, give him a few months and he'll cut his price for you when work dries up.
You know? It's strange and probably off subject, but during the good times, even 12 months ago, I couldn't get an Architect to come and price plans for a 3-bedroom extension, they were only interested in doing full houses, now the credit crunch is hurting, guess who's looking for work? Guess who had fun saying, 'go forth!'
Number two is a definite no-no, he needs to be doing what you want and pricing the full job.
Number 3, can't he let you know where some of his work is?
Number 4, PM Rockworld Wink maybe he's in your area.
Bill.

coolaboola

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that someone was turning down work in these times too.

My sis had exactly the same experience as you: about 18 months ago couldn't get an architect for love nor money to revamp her little cottage in the Tenters. Now the architects can't get a job in McDonalds for love nor money!

I agree with you on all counts on your assessment of the quotes so far. (PM winging its way to Rockworld shortly!)
Neptune of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: pond revamp Reply with quote

hi coolaboola ,any photos of your pond revamp neptune Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: