Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Grrr! Green Waste Charges

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
coolaboola
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Grrr! Green Waste Charges Reply with quote

[rant alert] After a major garden clear-out yesterday I loaded a big bag of trimmings into the back of the car and headed off to the recycle centre to their communal composter.

We arrived to discover that since 19 January 200 they've started to charge for the disposal of green waste.

Not only that but its a whopping €16 for a skip bag (fits in the back of our Nissan Almera).

And, for your convenience, you cannot pay in cash. Instead you have to pay using a label. Which you can only buy at the post office. Which is a mile away in any direction. And is closed after lunch on a Saturday and all day Sunday.

This for a service that for the past few years has been offered for free. And is a God-send to people like me who have small gardens that don't have space for a large composter - my composter is the standard Dublin CIty Council composter and at this time of year is quickly filled by kitchen scraps.

Aren't I supplying the city council with a free raw material? I'd understand charging for the finished product. And I'd be happy to pay. But this new development is a real pain in the butt.

The trimmings (mostly from my Jasmine Officanale, with some rose cuttings) are now sitting in the skip bag in my front garden. I've no idea what I'm going to do with them. Maybe nature will take care of it if I wait long enough ... a skip bag composter! Anyone want some or all of these trimmings?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to complain to Dublin City Council.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolaboola, this is typical of Governments. They want us and tell us to be "green" but they also want us to pay for it while they collect the money and squander it on Civil Servants salaries with no connection to what we're paying for.
Anyway, I'm sure you know all that, it's my pet hate all these charges.
It may not be suitable or maybe it is, you could by a cheapish shredder from somewhere like B&Q and shred most of your trimmings, leaves, prunings etc. then most would fit in a small composter or corner of your garden. OK I know it will cost a few euro more than the €16 you would pay to get rid of it, but it would eventually pay for itself by not having to cart it away and pay on top of your fuel.
I'm not sure who and how these charges are set, If I take stuff to my recycling depot in Kells It costs me €2.00 to open the barrier then all I have to do is ensure I put items in the appropriate bay. However, maybe they have upped the costs there as well!
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
coolaboola

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Bill.

Well I've written to my local TD and councillor. I'll let you know how I get on.
Liparis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolaboola wrote:
I'll let you know how I get on.

Please do, I'm sure councillors and TD's will soon be getting lots of letters and phone calls from people.
Bill.

Cindrella ella
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were down the country you would have some hope. The evening of June 23, St. John's Eve (or Oiche Fheile Eoin (Bonfire Night)) is celebrated in many parts of rural Ireland with the lighting of bonfires. This is how a lot of my relatives dispose of the clippings, that and halloween night. Very Happy
coolaboola

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! And they'll be tinder-dry by 23 June. I wonder if I could institute that tradition here in Kimmage? Smile

Bill, I forgot to mention, thanks for the shredder suggestion. It had crossed my mind but I'm wondering where I could store it. I'll make room.

And as for writing to TD's, I'd urge anyone else affected by this charge to drop your local councillor and/or TD an email or a letter on the matter. The more the merrier! I found this link useful in locating names and emails for my local TDs and councillors: http://www.dublin.ie/dem.aspx
foxroxks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a rant about dublin city charges.....not sure if ye have been given the the new brown for garden waste. Which I must add I'm 100% for if its required but i've been composting my own waste for over 3 yrs. So I sent an email saying i had no use for the new bin but was told that HAD to get the bin because meat and bone cant be put into a home composter ....... I only ever cook what will be eatin and never have meat of the bone so why should i have to pay to have a bin sit in my garden
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't be surprised if it's due to council budgets being slashed, and them trying to maintain the cash flow somehow.
Liparis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell them your cat gets the food scraps and the dog gets the bones, so that leaves nothing. Laughing
Bill.

birdie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
i wouldn't be surprised if it's due to council budgets being slashed, and them trying to maintain the cash flow somehow.

i heard it has a bit to do with the fact that the selling price of recycleable material has gone down. So poor money for plastic, tin and other metals. Some depots are even supposed to be putting these things into storage until the price rises again.
The risen charges are probably making up for this loss.
coolaboola

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well fair dos to Mary Upton who got back to me within 24 hours of my initial email with a response to her on my query from Dublin City Council.

Unfortunately it wasn't a very impressive response - saying that the charge is to meet to cost of disposing of the green waste.

Now I appreciate that the recycling of plastics, etc. is currently hit by the low prices being offered in the current market.

But the arguement that composting material has a high cost associated with it doesn't appear to hold a lot of water - surely they don't ship the green waste abroad for composting (as they do for plastic for recycling)? And surely there's a ready market for the end product here in Ireland, either selling the compost back to the very gardeners who provide the raw material? Or use it on the local autourity lands thus saving them the cost of purchasing this material elsewhere?

Any thoughts?

In the meantime looks like I'll be investing in a shredder. Can I spread the shreddings in the garden as a mulch? Even shredded they'd take over my little composter.

Or what about one of those decorative patio chimneas or fire pits for burning some of the chunkier stuff (at least it would be a carbon-neutral way of heating the patio?
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where *can* you buy the compost from the brown bin project?
Liparis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your employee, Mary Upton is being rather flipant with her reply. She hasn't really given you an accurate or justifiable reply but merely fobbed you off assuming that you will accept any cock & bull story she can give.
First of all she needs to justify €16.00 charge for such a small amount of compostable material. She also needs to justify what is being done with that material, ie are they selling it on to someone as compost or are they just dumping it in landfill and causing methane problems? This something that needs to be outlawed.
Regardless of whether recycable plastics and compost material are achieving low prices or not, your Council is charging you for taking it off their hands, they are then charging the recyclers for taking it off the Councils hands, whether it's €5.00 per ton or €50.00 per ton, they are demanding you, their employer, recycle and charge you for what they insist you do. The purpose of recycling is not to allow the Council to make money but to make a healthier community, increasing charges for recycling to slow it down until the prices gets better merely takes us back to square one, people will return to driving out to the country and dumping bags of garbage, tv's and fridges. Let me promise you, I have seen an increase of this habit again about 1 mile along the road from me. Bag after bag of rubbish.
What happens to the money they charge you and the recycler? They need to justify that as well. I for one don't want to pay recycling charges to help meet the cost of approving the building of supermarkets etc. nor for street lighting that is doing nothing but polluting our skies.
I'm afraid if I was dealing with her, my hackles would be up, my heels dug in and telling her to give the justifications you asked for.
Phew! that's another rant over.
Bill.

Bobwilliams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liparis wrote:
They need to justify that as well. I for one don't want to pay recycling charges to help meet the cost of approving the building of supermarkets etc. nor for street lighting that is doing nothing but polluting our skies.

I believe in the recession of the eighties some cash strapped town councils resorted to removing every 2nd street light bulb. Things are looking up, less light pollution is probably on the way Liparis. Laughing
Liparis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I wish, if they had used the type of lighting recommended in the first place, they wouldn't have to pay men to remove light bulbs Rolling Eyes sounds like doors and bolting horses Laughing
Hang on a minute! Where did a cash strapped council find the extra money to pay men to do that Laughing Laughing Oh! It must be coolaboola's fees for recycling Laughing
Bill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: