Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants

sinking plants

Most Recent Posts GRAVEL DRIVE CARE
Last post: I love Trees!!!
Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
wheres me trowel
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: sinking plants Reply with quote

Hello

i have a patio area in one part of the garden which has gravel leading up to it and around it. now the gravel is about 6 inches deep to bring it up to the patio level. i would love to sink some plastic pots into it and so hide the containers and have the plants coming up out the gravel. can anyone suggest some reasonably sized non annual hardy plants that would be happy with those conditions and would look good with the gravel. i could re-pot them yearly if necessary.

thanks

AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wheres me trowel,

I have some lupins and foxgloves although not in pots, which seem to have no problems forcing their way up thru probably 2'' of gravel. Only covered this area late last year so I suppose this year will tell all. However the new leaf growth is very good. I'm sure most things planted in pots and sunk in would do well especially if you top up with compost on a yearly basis, also this micro climate business re damping down gravel should also add to your success. But I'm sure there are more expert than me here so it will be interesting to have their thoughts.

Best of luck

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about grasses? I think they can look lovely in gravel. I will be looking for ideas myself as I have quite a large gravelled area in a new garden....so far all I've planted is some alpine-type plants and they are doing very well.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasses, Agaves etc to give a mediteranian setting amongst your gravel.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
verge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not grasses, phormiums will give a similar grassy look. As a bonous the pots will stop them going haywire on you.
wheres me trowel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. grasses and phormiums would look great. i looked at a Phormium called emerald isle after verge suggested, got to try and get that one. Agaves frighten me, they are overpowering looking, but stunning thanks bill. i will put the grasses and phormiums in first and sive could i ask what alpines are doing well for you, id like something else along with the foliage.

thanks AJ, sive, bill and verge
any more suggestions anyone

Sive

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry wheresmetrowel......I know nothing about alpines, and so I haven't a clue what exactly I bought.......I chose a couple that I liked the look of when they were in flower, and they both have survived the winter well, and one has even got little babies growing nearby already! A lot of my gardening is trial and error I'm afraid, especially as my garden is very exposed, so I'm never sure what will thrive here. Alpines probably survive wind well as they come from mountainous areas, so I'll be planting more.....and trying grasses too.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: My thanks to Verge for signposting this thread. Reply with quote

Sive. Like you I'm a trial and error gardener. Instead of fighting to achieve a preplanned result, I let the garden lead me. For an example, I have tulip bulbs under gravel and very successful they are. So much so I am going to try daffs under gravel in 2010. It started by accident when a gravel path was extended in 2007. Last year in Feb. some tulips I'd totally forgotten popped through. At the end of flowering, I used garden ties to keep all the leaves of individual bulbs together until they died down so I could rake the gravel and weed very selectively by hand. This year they flowered again and beautifully, along with extras added last September from a border on the basis of what the others had 'told' me.

Gravel can act as a natural seed nursery. For instance feverfew and flat-leaf parsley, thyme and clovers which others might deem weeds and all of which self-seeded in my gravel. An overflow of arrowmint is thriving elsewhere along the gravel path walked on regularly .

Sive

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI walltowall.....gravel gardening is a whole other world isn't it? But great fun. I have to be really careful to dead-head any plants that are in flowerbeds near gravel, otherwise, as you say, the gravel acts as a seed bed.
I'm fascinated at the idea of bulbs doing well in gravel....I had never thought of that. I'd say the small narcissi and species tulips would look particularly nice.
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://twitpic.com/4lgy7 a suggestion of alpines to complement phormiums and grasses without the pots though[/url][/code]
029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: