Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Transforming part of the garden into a vegetable garden

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
daigo75
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Transforming part of the garden into a vegetable garden Reply with quote

Hi again,
I started planning my vegetable garden and I'd like to ensure I'm not doing anything wrong. My first task would be to remove grass and moss from an area of the garden, raise the soil, make it more "breathing" and finally make the space for the vegetables. What I'd like to do is what's the most effective way to remove the grass from the soil while preserving as much of it as possible. I'm already "cutting" the perimeter with a pitchfork, which is by itself a "titanic" work because of the percentage of stones in the ground... Rolling Eyes

What I would do, as an inexperienced gardener, is lifting the soil, cutting it into pieces and "shake" the grass away, then mixing the remaining with some compost and, eventually, other plant food (suggestions welcome). Smile

Am I proceeding correctly, or is there something else I should consider? I thought about the possibility of raised beds, but I'm having difficulties finding the planks (very limited budget doesn't help), so I decided to put some elbow grease and started digging.

Thanks for the answers.
Bobwilliams
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a sharp spade and skin off the sod then throw it grass side down into the bottom of the raised beds. Fill them up with your vegetable growing soil and plant away. Important that the blade of the spade is sharp and as flat as possible.
daigo75

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Bobwilliams, just two things: I won't use raised beds, I'll reuse the space I carved out from the soil. The sod I took out (I understood correctly) contains grass, various weeds and moss. Do I just have to put it upside down where it was and cover/mix it with compost? I believed that moss and grass, since they still have the roots, would "suck" the food from the vegetables.

Sorry if I misunderstood something, I'm really a beginner. Thank you again. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: