Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

RUSHES

Most Recent Posts The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71
Garlic stalks for the compost heap
Last post: newspade

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
blownin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: RUSHES Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to get rid of rushes from a lawn, i have tride to mow them out over the past few years, but they keep on coming back, this year more so ?????
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta dig them up !

I had rushes before and the only way was to dig down and uproot them . they never came back .
blownin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: RUSHES Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Michale 196, it would be a major job to dig them all up, i'd have no lawn left, i see some farmers have a lick spraying machine for them i wonder if i could get a few gallons of the stuff and spray them myself, would that work ?
michelle M
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my father in law sprays his farm for rushes with an "ordinary" sprayer, not the lick type one, so i presume you could spray them with one of those sprayers that you carry on your back or a watering can for that matter. I think you need to wait until at least end of april before spraying for better effect. Also you should cut them about 3 weeks before spraying or have about 5-6 inches of fresh growth before spraying. Or so the farmers in the family tell me Wink
The fields around us are full of rushes, but thankfully our lawn is clear so far Very Happy
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rushes or reeds mean waterlogged or at least very boggy soil? Perhaps improving drainage is the way to get rid of them? Have you tried spiking the lawn and brushing in sand? Failing that you could always make a bog garden. They can be gorgeous Razz
blownin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: rushes Reply with quote

Thanks for that i'm starting to build a garage in the next few weeks was going to order in a few extra ton's of sand to spread over it. Wot's the name of the stuff they spray ?
michelle M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubbie said the spray is MCPA, it can be got in any agricultural store, presume garden centres would have sprays for everything Question
Drainage dosen't seem to fully clear them here. A field next to us was drained, sprayed, ploughed and resown about 2-3 years ago and it's covered with rushes again. Lime is also supposed to help keep them away, they grow better in acid soil or so I read on some website the other day Rolling Eyes
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: rushes Reply with quote

blownin wrote:
Thanks for that i'm starting to build a garage in the next few weeks was going to order in a few extra ton's of sand to spread over it. Wot's the name of the stuff they spray ?

Rather than quote an old post of mine regarding which sand to use, instead have a read of the old post http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4521#4521 . Incorrect sand will do more harm than good blownin.

Keep up the mowing as you will be weakening the rushes and feed the lawn regularly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: