Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants

Fig (or other fruit) tree in a container?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
coolaboola
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Fig (or other fruit) tree in a container? Reply with quote

I have a 50 x 50 x 50 cm container against a south-facing wall. It's been lying empty and forlorn for the past year.

I'm thinking I'd like to grow a dwarf fruit tree there. And, of course, I've a few questions (I've never grown a fruit tree, dwarf or otherwise):

Will a dwarf fruit tree grow there?

If so, which sort of fruit would l have most chance of success? (from what I've read so far, figs seem to be happy with confined roots - would figs grow in Dublin)

Where would I get a dwarf fruit tree in Dublin?

And how do I look after such a tree?

Thanks fellow gardners!

c
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: figs in a container Reply with quote

I'll leave other possibilities to other contributors. I want to share my experience with figs in a container. Look at my profile though (esp. the link to my website) as I am a bit away from Dublin just now!

I've a Brown Turkey fig in a large ceramic pot buried up to its neck against a south-facing wall. We get a lot of sun and very little rain. I have to water the pot (2gals) at least three times a week or I get no ripe figs.

A fig planted in a pot produces fruit; a fig planted free produces growth. I've no idea why this is, but I was told to use a pot in 2004 and it has worked. I prune after the leaves fall. Any branch not growing towards the wall or at least parallel is cut off. You want a minimum of timber delivering a maximum of fruit!

On different years I have let the fig grow out to a max. width of almost twenty feet or a min. eight. But I never the tree top seven feet. Last year was a disaster. I failed to water the fig as the Summer was so wet I did not think I needed to! bad decision. I got almost 200 baby figs but only 10 ripened towards the end of the season and after I started watering.

I'm confident a Brown Turkey Fig in a 50x50x50cm box will grow on a south facing wall in Dublin. But I really dont know whether it will succeed with the box free-standing. I'd tend to bury or half bury.

coolaboola

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply walltoall. Thank you. And food for thought... Unfortunately partilally burying isn't an option for me.

As I've been wandering around the interweb on this topic, I came across Coronet miniature apple trees (www.coronet.ie) Maybe these would be more suitable for my situation (and Dublin's climate)? I'm completely open to suggestions.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: container based trees Reply with quote

Hi Coolaboola. Just though of something! The reason for part-burying is to ensure that the tree, whatever it is can access water via it's tap-root. Could you sit your planter in a water-trough of some sort and keep that full of water?

Apple trees WILL grow in your situation. They are 'cool temperate' designed for our weather. Over here, people are looking at oranges and lemons! My bro in Bournemouth has a lemon tree in a container and gets about 50 lemons a year.

coolaboola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 lemons a year?!! I'm impressed! Hmmm. Now there's another option into the pot! Smile

I'm not sure about the water trough (not that one would have been needed in our past soggy summers!)

I'm generally a believer trying to work with what works most naturally so maybe apples are a better option. (And maybe a lemon tree for fun!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: