Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello from a Irish/Canadian gardener

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
wee mary
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Hello from a Irish/Canadian gardener Reply with quote

Hi Folks: I sold my house and moved to a condo and now have only a 30' by 10' deck to work with which should be enough as I live alone.

I need advise on container gardening - what to plant, how to and in what kind of container. I live near Vancouver, Canada which has weather remarkably similar to Irelands. I may not be able to buy the same products here but I'm sure any advise would be welcomed.

I have 3 shrubs on my deck now which I can keep under an overhang during the winter and also a few large pots in which I grew tomatoes last summer. Anything else I plant would have to stay out in the open and get rained on.

I want to plant a Clamatus this year and have it climb up the downpipe so it will be protected under the overhang as well. Any advise out there on planting Clamatus?

I'll be back to Ireland for a long stay (or possibly return for good ) after I retire in 2011 and intend to take tours to see all the wonderful gardens. I saw the garden at Kylemore Abby in the Connemara the last time I was there - beautiful!

sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome,look forward to yoyr posts,
wee mary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome sal. I work long hours so won't be posting much - reading posts to learn more would be more like it.

I've asked the kids to give me bedding plants for Mothers Day so I can fill my deck with colour this summer. Better than some useless trinket any day.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome wee mary, your part of the world sounds very beautiful, and with a good climate too. I don't have a lot of experience with containers, except that I love planting layers of bulbs in them and adding some colourful annuals once the bulbs have finished. This suggestion is not that useful to you as it's too late to plant spring bulbs now, but you might like to try doing this in the autumn.
wee mary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: climate & bulbs Reply with quote

Thanks Sive,
I think our climate might get a bit colder than yours at times. I've noticed tropical plants such as palms trees do well out in the weather in Ireland but we need to keep them near buildings here for protection during the winter. Other than that, I've found our flora and fauna to be the same.

Bulbs haven't done so well for me over the winter but this year I've planted them in a much larger pot and now I'll just have to see how they do. When they're finished, my tomatoes go in next. Maybe some plant that trails and blooms would be nice in with the tomatoes. As one grows up the other can grow down.

Anyone see a potentional problem with doing that?

birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: climate & bulbs Reply with quote

wee mary wrote:
Maybe some plant that trails and blooms would be nice in with the tomatoes. As one grows up the other can grow down.
Anyone see a potentional problem with doing that?

I believe tomatoes are one of the hungry vegetables. The dont like other plants taking away from their food so if you plant with them you may get small tomatoes. Smaller than the cherry tomatoes even. Laughing
PennyG
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and Welcome from another Canadian Very Happy Very Happy

You are lucky that you are in BC, otherwise you feel differently about the weather that we get here in Ontario, right now its -23 Shocked Shocked

Nice to meet you Very Happy

wee mary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: thanks Birdie Reply with quote

Thanks for that piece of info. I'll leave them dwell in peace on their own.
wee mary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PegggG: I was raised in Ontario - that's why I now live here Very Happy
PennyG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee mary wrote:
PegggG: I was raised in Ontario - that's why I now live here Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh really.....where in Ontario, if you dont mind me asking?
I am on Georgian Bay Wink

wee mary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Canada from Ireland as a war baby. Mother and I disembarked the Queen Mary in Halifax and were put on a train to Ontario. My father had bought a farm in southern Ontario on the war veterans plan. I mostly lived near or in London, Ontario until I was 19 at which time I moved to Nova Scotia. In 1974, I moved to beautiful BC.

It must be tough gardening weather where you are. I had a print of one of the Group of Seven called "Storm on Georgian Bay" that I loved but it sure looked rugged.

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so interesting to hear you Canadians chatting. I lived in Toronto for a year back in the seventies, did a bit of travelling too....but only eastwards, to Quebec, Nova Scotia etc. I would have loved to see British Columbia, but just hadn't the time or money then!
I wouldn't fancy gardening in Ontario though, the hard winters must kill a lot of plants.....and Georgian Bay is quite far north isn't it?
PennyG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Georgian Bay is 2 hours north of Toronto, and surprisingly we do have a good growing season, the humidity here is wicked in the summer Very Happy
But the winters are brutal Rolling Eyes

I know exactly where London is, my daughter will be attending College there in the Fall Very Happy

Its nice to meet you both Very Happy

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Wee Mary and Clematis in Vancouver Reply with quote

Clematis like their roots to be in the ground. They also need to have their roots or at least the ground over the roots shaded from the sun. I use paving slabs. They don't work well in containers or at least the varieties I've come across. They also like sun and they hate wind. So if you can plant one in soil under the decking and let it come up from there to the drainpipe and it avoids wind and get sun, you're away on a bicycle. Look up Nelly Moser. Let's hear it for Canada then?
wee mary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks are fast with the fingers!

Thanks for the advise on Clamatus. I guess it's out of the question for my patio then as it's all cement. Any suggestions for a climber that does well in pots? I also get the hot sun almost all day in the summer. Great for annuals and my veggies if I do lots of watering.

I love Canada and I love Ireland and am drawn between the two. Their both great countries Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: