Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Novice garden..

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Novice garden.. Reply with quote

This is my first year having a garden. So I tried a bit of everything.
I think I learned this year that I should be more confident about planting bulbs and plants closer together. I found that my planting appears very sparse. But I also realise that my garden is immature. Anyway, here are a few piccies and I would appreciate any comments - good or bad.

Click here
verge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Garden comments Reply with quote

Marge,I like the way you have included your cabbage within the garden, making good use of space. I also like the sun flower (which part of the garden is south facing). On the downside, and this is always a problem with new houses, the blank walls. I would try to get some closure on them with climbers.
On the upside again, great summer colour.
birdie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the summer colour myself, Marge. I think verge is right about the walls as well. Oh, and I love your cat or is it just a visitor.
MargeSimpson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Verge. I have a couple of Clematis planted in front of the wall. I have had to string twine across the wall to try and get the Clematis to cover the wall. But I wlll have to cut it back next spring. Hopefully it will take off from there.

Oh she's my cat alright!. She doesn't cause too much damage though.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Garden comments Reply with quote

MargeSimpson, you have had a good first year.

Heres a few tips to improve your garden for next year...

I would include some more structural plants (shrubs, conifers). At the moment the garden is very perennial based, great for summer colour but this may look very bare come autumn and winter.

I would change the linear shape of the back wall bed, it just seems to reflect the straightness of the wall. Give it a bit of a belly or a kink. Very Happy

Consider using wires to support your clematis rather than strings, Clematis will get heavy when wet and strings will sag.

Oh, and don't plant anything large growing in front of the satellite dish or there will be no "Living TV" for you in the future. Laughing

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
MargeSimpson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or UKTV Gardens!! Very Happy

All very good points everyone. Yes the garden is very perennial based. I was just so determined to have flowers for the summer - I love cottage garden style.

Good point about string vs wire. I must change over. I bought lots of small buxus, so I am going try and grow a low hedge around the patio. The area in front of the shed tends to be shaded and damp so it would be a good place for shrubs, etc.

I made a plan of the garden so that I can remember what worked well and where.
Now I am planning for my Spring Bulbs. Very Happy
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow , great first effort , lots of nice colour , I would get rid of the wooden edging
and maybe replace it with very small box hedging ( Buxus Sempervirens ) to keep the cottage feel . I like to plant vegetables amongst flowers so at this time consider planting some cabbage for the spring . Consider planting some climbing roses , Wisteria , Honeysuckle , on the wall . For some inspiration Google Gertrude Jekyll --- images . She is considered the originator of the cottage garden . Are they Gladioli at the back wall , if so great to see them .
Laughing If I had to do a report card . Marge Simpson got an A Laughing
Cool Bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: