Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

plant vegetables in coal bag???

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nanonano
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: plant vegetables in coal bag??? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to planting anything. Before I start to spend loads of money and then I don't like it or everything dies, I'm looking for the cheapest way to get started. For now, I planted seeds in egg cartons covered with plastic. Praying that they come up. Before I start rearranging the garden with raised beds, I was wondering can I use empty coal bags as a grow bag for vegetables? The grow bags sold in the shops are just plastic and with this cold weather I have loads of coal bags. I also have one of those building bags where you order sand or soil in. Can I use that safely?
Just looking for any new ideas that don't cost the earth and will feed my family all year round. Hopefully Confused
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nanonano,

I was thinking the same as you I thought about potatoes as I have loads of bags and turf dust so I was thinking potatoes. I read an article in a magazine and they used Tonne bags.Maybe I will beat the blight.
Moggi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, welcome to the forum and also the world of gardening !!! Being a novice myself I'm not the best to give you advice, however I remember a friend growing potatoes in fertiliser bags and she did tell me that as potatoe's can carry a lot of diseases this is a safer way to grow them as that way the soil in your raised beds are not ruined for the next growing period.

Also I started off last summer growing salad leaves (the pick and grow again variety) in an old bath which I got holes drilled in. Saying that it was not the prettiest of all garden ornaments but it did do the trick and as it was raised off the ground on two pallets I did not get any unwelcome visitors in the form of rabbits that is, although I did have the odd two legged visitor !!!! I must say it kept a few of us going on salads for most of the summer and it cost nothing except the price of the seeds so needless to say I was very proud of myself all summer !!! Whatever you decide enjoy it and good luck. Smile

Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be aware of the coal toxins that would be in your coal bag, and the immediate transmission into your own food chain, if you grow in the coal bag.

the building bag sounds a lot safer, no toxins there.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, don't be tempted to use the coal ash on your garden, especially as Michael mentioned, on food crops.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a variation on this method for growing your veg in sacks....... Grow potatoes in bags.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Nanonano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toxins of the coal was what I was worried about. But I read in GPI other tread about the compost bags. Didn't think of that. Great Recycling. Thank you all.
Macy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moggi wrote:
however I remember a friend growing potatoes in fertiliser bags and she did tell me that as potatoe's can carry a lot of diseases this is a safer way to grow them as that way the soil in your raised beds are not ruined for the next growing period.

If you were using seed potatoes and practicing crop rotation I wouldn't have thought the risk was that high for future crops. I have read of people using that logic when using shop brought spuds though - always struck me that presumably they'd be tipping the used compost onto the garden so anything soil bourne would still be there anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: