Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc.

What could it be? smallish bird (about the size of a finch)

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Serendipity
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: What could it be? smallish bird (about the size of a finch) Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've noticed a visitor in my garden (I've a feeder hanging from my clothes line), but I can't find anyone who can tell me what it is, I hope somebody here can help.

It's a smallish bird (about the size of a finch), initially I thought it was all dark brown, but with the sun shining at a different angle I have noticed that the back is a very dark brown with a russet tone to it, while the chest and belly are very dark brown/anthracite grey in colour. The legs and beak seem dark too. Its head is also dark, about the same colour as its back. It's not a mottled/ spotted bird. I thought it might have been a blackcap but it's much darker than any of the photos I've found on the net. It feeds mainly on the ground on the seeds that have fallen from the feeder. It's shy but much less so than the finches or the tits (although not as cheeky as the robins!). I can't see its beak properly because it's too far away, and I don't have a digital camera. So far I've only ever seen it on its own.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Exclamation Edited by moderator to add descriptive title............... see rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Serendipity,
Could it possibly be a crossbill? It's the only one in my book that seems a possibility. Do you have conifers near your garden? (they eat seeds from spruce cones)
I can't be certain as I've never seen a crossbill myself.......
verge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Hi Serendipity,
Could it possibly be a crossbill?

Never heard of one myself. Here's a pic of one though for you to study Serendipity.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Serendipity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering Sive and Verge, but I'm afraid I don't think that's it - this crossbill seems to be much darker than my "UFO", and besides there aren't any conifers nearby (lots of deciduous trees, though!).

After looking into this a bit more I thought it might have been a thrush nightingale (either a black billed or a ruddy capped one - see http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s267/alexnaturals/My%20Birds%20Costa%20Rica/Ruddy-cappedNightingale-Thrush2-1.jpg and http://images.google.ie/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=Catharus%20gracilirostris&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi - I've just amended the links) until I found out they are native of Costa Rica and Panama... I know the Gulf Stream reaches our shores, but I don't think these little things would appreciate the beauty of the West of Ireland's weather...

The search continues...
Bobwilliams

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity I guess it could be a Hedge Sparrow. Any photos?
Serendipity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think, Bobwilliams, so it's much darker than the photos of hedge sparrows (dunnocks?) I've looked up on Google, and it definitely doesn't have those markings on the wings and back - it's not mottled at all, as far as I can see... thanks for your suggestion, though!

I'm afraid I don't have a digital camera, so no photos...

Actually, now that I think of it, it looks very much like the little photo next to the heading of this forum (on the main page), whatever it is...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: