Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point

Duct tape...it's great...

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Duct tape...it's great... Reply with quote

A STICKY SITUATION

Duct tape is great. For those of you not familiar with this life changing product, it's a bit like Sellotape but silver and has cotton strands running though it for strength. Known also as Duck tape, it was developed in the second World War for fixing military equipment such as ammunition cases, jeeps, firearms, tanks and aircraft where it earned another nick-name "100 miles an hour tape". NASA have even used it on the moon. I have been familiar with it for years as a variation of it called Gaffer tape, this was the slightly less tacky stuff that live bands used to stick the miles of electrical cables safely to the floor at concerts. It was put in place so us teenagers wouldn't trip over ourselves and spill the watered down lager we had just bought in the plastic pint glass.

I have stuck with it over the years though and Duct tape now holds most things together in the house.

My computer has lengths of it holding the USB cables in place and the wires are neatly stuck to the floor and walls near the plug sockets. (I walk over them occasionally to relive my memories of going to Genesis concerts) The shredder that I recently bought and lovingly cared for is now covered in the thick, strong tape as the machine fell over when I was moving it in the garden, smashing the protective plastic casing. There really should have been a protective bar to protect the protective case but as there wasn't, the front of the machine ended up in thousands of fragments on the driveway. The big gaping hole where the shredders innards were spilling out have been sealed up and made safe ... with a few feet of Duct tape.

The handle came off the bird feeder today and when my lad came to me so I could fix it, I thought of only one thing that was up to the job (spilt lager at a concert proved that) ... Trusty duct tape. "It's waterproof too." I tell him.

There is one thing in the garden that the tape hasn't held together though. A seat. The seat was originally a two in one chair with a small table in the middle for your drinks. They are a bit like those courting chairs of old, but you are both facing the same direction and can kiss easier. Anyway, one of them fell apart some time ago at a rather over zealous children's party, leaving the remaining chair and the table, which also looked as though they were destined for the fire. So out came the Duct tape. It worked quite well too, and had that industrial look to it with the silver reflecting in the winter sunshine. Until that is, I sat on it today... My lad was taking a photo of me, supposedly relaxing and extolling the virtues of the tape when the inevitable happened. The photo says it all............There are things that even duct tape won't fix......

falling off of the chair.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.56 KB
 Viewed:  15507 Time(s)

falling  off of the chair.jpg

janelee
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing You mentalist. Nice to see your house is as held together as mine with odds and ends. That picture was staged though, wasn't it. Shocked Shocked Laughing
inishindie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: was it or wans't it? Reply with quote

Hi Janelee

Thanks for the united front on all things held together with tape

Now to the photo......

I was trying to find the Poll facility on the post a reply..... Was it a set up or was it genuine?

I'll let you know later.....exciting stuff...

Cheers

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say set up as you filled the cup with water.
Didn't want to waste tea, coffee, or beer I reckon. Razz Laughing

I am sure you have all heard the saying......
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
inishindie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: not quite Reply with quote

The story of how WD40 got it's name is interesting (If you are into these kinds of things) It stands for Water Displacement 40, which was the 40th attempt at getting it right, and right it is... wonderful stuff

The water in the cup is hot water... I don't drink tea or cofee (or beer for that matter) so hot water is my usual tipple... so no prizes for the observation, as good as it was...

Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be photo of the month for entertainment value!
All Too Human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all, i thought that wd40 meant war department 40 as that was the department of the army that made it during the war
inishindie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: war dept Reply with quote

Ye know too much.......

here's a bit of oil....http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: