Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

please recommend a native Irish tree

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
carolan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: please recommend a native Irish tree Reply with quote

Hello
Sadly the time has come to landscape the family smallholding in Mayo . My Uncle was the last of his generation to live on it , and as his neices and nephews all live all over the world it is time to make decisions . We would like to plant a native Irish tree , that will grow large and have a long life in memory of the family . I was wondering about an Irish oak ? The land is fairly poor and peaty , in NW Mayo . Any ideas , suggestions very gratefully recieved .
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: please recommend a native Irish tree Reply with quote

carolan wrote:
Hello
We would like to plant a native Irish tree , that will grow large and have a long life in memory of the family . I was wondering about an Irish oak ? The land is fairly poor and peaty , in NW Mayo .

I reckon oak could be an option as it does grow large eventually, and has a long life.
Of the two native oaks we have in this country the Pedunculate oak seems more suited to your soil.

Quote:

The Pedunculate Oak grows well in moist humus rich soils whereas Sessile Oak prefers lighter free draining soils, because of this it can often be found growing on higher ground.
from this article.... Quercus robur and Quercus petraea

I presume by you saying "The land is fairly poor and peaty" that it is poorly drained as well.

Scots pine, also native and large growing, is a good evergreen conifer option to check out... Scots pine / fir... Pinus sylvestris ... Péine albanach

Of course the native tree that sounds best suited to your site conditions is our native alder is the black alder, Alnus glutinosa. A member of the birch family, this deciduous (sheds and renews leaves annually) tree grows up to ½ a metre a year, quickly reaching its maximum height of 20-25 metres. Very quick to establish, and, once established, maddeningly difficult to root out of the ground again, these are two of the reasons that black alder works well as a soil maintainer and erosion reducer to the soils along our river banks. See here... Black Alder ... Alnus glutinosa ... Fearnóg

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: