Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Advice needed for a beginner please

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
colin79ie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Advice needed for a beginner please Reply with quote

Hi,

I have decided to try and grow a small veg patch in my garden. I have built a small raised bed of about 9 ft x 5ft. I also built smaller one in which I was thinking of growing some herbs perhaps.

I am a complete beginner and as well as growing the veg it would be a hobby for me.

I have half filled the bed with soil and I am wondering what, if anything needs to be added to mix with the soil before I can start planting.

As the bed is small, I would like to grow maybe a small amount of a few different things.

What should I plant that will be good for a beginner?

Any advice is much appreciated and if anyone knows any good links for beginners then that would be a great help too.

Thanks in advance.
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hI Colin... try to think of someting ( vegtable ) that you will eat. Perhaps tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, parsnips peas etc.

For potatoes, add compost ( you know the big bale bags) and farmyard manure (bagged ) from Garden centers.

However for parsnips and carrots you will need a ;ighter mix, more sand and less manure.

Peas and beans will like the potatoe mix. Tomatoes will also like the mix as well as brussels sprouts etc.

Or if you like butternut squash I am giving that a shot this year.

I started last year with an 8 x 8 with just potoates and had a successful crop.

also if you go with potates, buy a hand sprayer and some dithane ( <10 euro) for anti blight spraying for the potatoes and tomatoes.

hope this helps. number 1 rule , gro something you like and will eat .
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: what to plant Reply with quote

hi colin, if you put the potatoes in early you'll get them out before the risk of blight in July, ergo no chemicals also you could try raspberries or strawberries, very reliable croppers best of luck with your veg endeavours.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for a beginner please Reply with quote

colin79ie wrote:

I have half filled the bed with soil and I am wondering what, if anything needs to be added to mix with the soil before I can start planting.

You may not initially have a good soil type, one that is made up of 50% soil, 25% water and 25% air space, but it is possible to get close to it through carefully adding certain materials to your existing soil. In the case of heavy clay soils, you can greatly improve the movement of water, air and nutrients within them by digging in a 3 to 4 inch layer of gritty sand as deep as you can. The addition of chunky well-rotted compost/farmyard manure will open clay soil up further and help prevent that dreadful cracked earth effect that clays display during dry periods.

When amending sandy soils, your goal is to increase the soil's ability to hold water and nutrients. For this you can once again add a 3 to 4 layer of well-rotted compost/farmyard manure by spading or forking it in as deep as you can.
Few soils will not benefit from the addition of well-rotted compost/farmyard manure, ask around and you will find that most seasoned vegetable gardeners will dig some into their veg beds each autumn. This is carried out for all the reasons mentioned above, as well as to replace the great quantities of nutrients used up by hungry feeding vegetables.

Well worth reading, from this article.... Planning a Vegetable Garden? How to Make a Vegetable Garden.

colin79ie wrote:

What should I plant that will be good for a beginner?

Radish, Lettuce, Perpetual spinach perhaps. Here... Easy vegetables to grow in Ireland, 3 of the best.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
kilkenny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radishes are quite easy to grow Very Happy They can be harvested about a month after sowing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: