Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Oil based winter wash for apple trees?

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
spiral1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Oil based winter wash for apple trees? Reply with quote

Hi
I have a couple of gardening books and they all have advised to spray an oil based winter wash on apple trees at this time of year but they don't recommend any in particular...
Can anyone recommend one or even the ingredients for a home made winter wash that i can do myself..

thanks

spiral
janelee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil based winter washes are now banned and should not be available to buy anywhere. Most gardeners are now using a jeyes fluid solution instead as a wash.
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 70 apple trees. I never spray them with anything. The fruitlets get heavily infested every year by apple sawfly maggots, but all the infected ones drop off, saving a lot of thinning, though I still have to do some. The perfect fruits all go for sale and the less perfect go into the cider bucket - not an apple gets wasted!
Bobwilliams

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral1 to be honest I think you would be killing off more insects benificail to your apple trees than those that are harmful. I don't think there is really a need for winter washes.

Sean Ph'lib wrote:
The perfect fruits all go for sale and the less perfect go into the cider bucket - not an apple gets wasted!

Laughing I've been told by a freind working for a big cider manufacturer that you would never drink cider again after seeing what goes into it. He made out to me that its apple skin, core, seeds and the occasional maggot that happens to be on board.
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I've been told by a freind working for a big cider manufacturer that you would never drink cider again after seeing what goes into it. He made out to me that its apple skin, core, seeds and the occasional maggot that happens to be on board.[/quote]

What's wrong with skin, core and seeds? And for that matter, the occasional maggot? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: