Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Dog Resistant Plants

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: ianpools

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
SuseFlower
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Dog Resistant Plants Reply with quote

I have a small patch to plant in but have two dogs who aren't satisfied peeing on the rest of the garden. Are there any plants that are dogpee resistant and look pretty? I don't mind if it is quite virilant - for instance I have some catmint that is quite healthy, and a large Thistle type which is doing well... any ideas Question
verge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Plants Dog Urine Reply with quote

Hi SuseFlower. Some of my friends had this peeing problem with their plants. Now, they never actually found plants that were resistant to dog pee but they found that giving the dog ulimited access to fresh water lessened the pee damage. I believe it must have diluted the acid in the pee. Also if you hose down the plants immediatly after the deed is done, your plants will have a better chance of survival.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Dog urine resistant plants in Ireland. Reply with quote

SuseFlower, although no plant is totally resistant to a dogs "golden shower", here are a few resilient plants.....

rosemary
lavender
peonies

I feel that many plants with silver, slightly hairy or downey leaves would be suitable, as you say yourself "I have some catmint that is quite healthy"

I would love to see a pic of the "large Thistle type which is doing well". Smile

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
SuseFlower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice... I will try those suggestions and let you know what happens!! Incidentally the dogs have been eating the catmint occassionally - breath mint perhaps!? And thanks for the water tip - they have always got abundant fresh water but I can see the point that to have lots of water would dilute the pee as it were. I'll see if I can get a picture of the thistle... which brings on my next question... should I cut it back now that it's dying off or should I leave the thistle heads on? I guess you'll know more if you see the pic!
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Thistle-type plant, cut back or not? Reply with quote

SuseFlower wrote:
I'll see if I can get a picture of the thistle... should I cut it back now that it's dying off or should I leave the thistle heads on? I guess you'll know more if you see the pic!

Yes, a pic would be great.
It may be a seed head worth leaving on the plant.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: