Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How vinegar can help

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Margo
Horrible weed-infested spotty lawn
Last post: tagwex
Gathering your own horse manure
Last post: Sue Deacon
grass clippings
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lucyloo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: How vinegar can help Reply with quote

http://www.vinegartips.com/

I just came accross this today and couldn't get over all of the uses for it. I love the idea of being able to kill the weeds without chemicals and I think ive found the alternative.

Regards:Lucyloo Smile
verge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on vinegar use here as well Lucyloo Good Homemade Weed Killer------safe and organic weed killer

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Lucyloo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

verge wrote:
More on vinegar use here as well Lucyloo Good Homemade Weed Killer------safe and organic weed killer

Thanks verge, im going to share this tip(receipe with mt father as he got the back garden paved but because they have a dog they can't use weed killer to destroy the weeds.
Im sure this will be very useful.

Does it work on the slugs???
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link, verge.....it almost seems too good to be true...I can't wait to try it out, as I really hate using the chemical-style weedkillers, which I very rarely use when nothing else is possible.....but vinegar....how amazing!
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that,i went onto the site and found lots of helpful tips,
Import
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note the recipe calls for distilled vinegar. That is the stuff we used extensively in South Africa. Excellent as a rinsing agent for the washing (Comfort).

However is distilled vinegar available in Ireland? I have only found malt, wine and various balsamic vinegar
Lucyloo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import wrote:
I note the recipe calls for distilled vinegar. That is the stuff we used extensively in South Africa. Excellent as a rinsing agent for the washing (Comfort).

However is distilled vinegar available in Ireland? I have only found malt, wine and various balsamic vinegar

Yes it can be got in the supermarket. Smile
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: great stuff Reply with quote

Hi

The distilled vinegar is the clear type you see on the shelves and in cafe's. If you are going to pour it down your driveway, get the big gallon containers that a caterer would use. It will be a lot cheaper.

It's great for cleaning your windows too...

vinegar, baking soda (bicarb) the two most versitile things you can have in the house.....

Cheers

Ian

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a similar vein, the reader's digest extraordinary uses for ordinary things book is a treasure trove of ideas for using things like vinegar and bicarb (and much, much more) to do loads of household tasks.
Lucyloo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you know, that I used the vinegar on some hard to get at weeds and it worked!!! Very Happy
inishindie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: soap Reply with quote

Hi

Good to hear it worked...

I have been spraying it on my drive too - totally undiluted. I have moss on the edges. It worked well as it dehydrates the plants, especially when the sun shines on the wet surface. I also found that adding a touch of soap (washing up liquid) also helps as it acts as a wetting agent and the vinegar stays on the leaves longer instead of running off. Daisies seem immune though....

Cheers

Ian

Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: great stuff Reply with quote

[quote="inishindie"]Hi

The distilled vinegar is the clear type you see on the shelves and in cafe's. If you are going to pour it down your driveway, get the big gallon containers that a caterer would use. It will be a lot cheaper.

What a great tip. Do you know where we can buy catering size packs? It would work out rather expensive in supermarket size bottles. We have a lot of weeds to attack!

Lucyloo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: soap Reply with quote

inishindie wrote:
Hi

Good to hear it worked...

I have been spraying it on my drive too - totally undiluted. I have moss on the edges. It worked well as it dehydrates the plants, especially when the sun shines on the wet surface. I also found that adding a touch of soap (washing up liquid) also helps as it acts as a wetting agent and the vinegar stays on the leaves longer instead of running off. Daisies seem immune though....

Cheers

Ian

Hi there Ian there is a recipe above from one of the other members, and you mix in salt and washing up liquid to the mix, this will sterilise the ground for up to 2 years for you. I ve also tried this on paving and its worked, omg the smell but it was worth it.
inishindie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: I'll try that Reply with quote

Hi there, I'll try that recipe.....

You can get the vinegar from cash and carry places, if you know someone with a card you can stock up. We're lucky enough to have seaweed for added salt, I wouldn't be spreading that all over the driveway though......

Cheers

Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I will try and find someone with a card. I thought I might check the local chip shop, see if they might order it for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: