Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Planning on a polytunnel

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Gravel Drive towed rake??
Last post: tagwex
the first of 2020
Last post: Greengage
Help please.. holm oak problems
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Moggi
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Planning on a polytunnel Reply with quote

Hi, I am new not only to this website but also to gardening and I have learned so much already looking through all the different forums. I am planning on buying a polytunnel now in the Spring and was wondering what advice anyone could give me on preparing the site before erecting the polytunnel. My garden is still practically a building site having only moved into our house however I guess that means I have a blank canvass so to speak. The polytunnel size is 14x10 ft and Im thinking of using raised beds to grow vegetables. Where I am planning on placing the polytunnel is an area where the topsoil has been scaped away and currently is stoned with rough gravel. Would it be best to scape away the gravel and re-apply the topsoil and then erect the polytunnel or is there another or better way. As I say it is practically a blank canvass and I really want to get it right.

Thanks,
Moggi Confused

SG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Polytunnels Reply with quote

Hi, I put up a polytunnel about 4 years ago, found it very successful.
Its size is 24x 16 and if I was doing it again I would make it bigger.
I think you should make it as big as you can, to allow for a work area.
The organic centre in Co. Leitrim does courses on this, that's where I learnt about them. It's important to get it right from the start.
Also try and get as much ground work done before erecting it as possible. You could use some of the gravel area as paths.

Good luck with it anyway.
sg Very Happy
scotty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also considering a polytunnel and live in quite an exposed area in the west of Ireland. I am worried that the polytunnel would disappear during one of our winter gales! Has anyone had any experience with polytunnels in windy situations?
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Polytunnels Reply with quote

SG wrote:
Its size is 24x 16 and if I was doing it again I would make it bigger.
I think you should make it as big as you can, sg Very Happy

I'm often asked by people about what size of greenhouse/pollytunnel they should put up. My answer is always, 'Work out what size you need for what you want to grow, then get one twice the size.'
You'd be surprised at how quickly you fill them to capacity after your first successful year. Yes, I know cash availability and size of plot has to come into it, but always go as big as you can, otherwise you will spend quite a bit of time trying to kick your own butt for not getting that one that was three metres longer/wider when you could afford it.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
galwaybeginner
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with that on the size. I just put in a 8 * 5 foot one, and when I was buying it was worried it was too big. Before I even had it all up I was thinking about doubling the size. Once you get started it's adictive!
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Polytunnels Reply with quote

I checked out several polytunnels and asked questions about them. On rainy days when you just can't do much outside, you still have the luxury to putter out of the wet and get something done. Some people have two. They last about 5 years before the plastic starts to wear out. They put ground around the bottom to hold the plastic in place. This man was able to grow tomatoes on the vine in November, had grapes, raspberries, strawberries during the summer months, started his tender plants anytime he wanted and sheltered his bulbs during dormant season. He had lettuce going. He would be away for a month or so and there was no need to water as the soil soaked up from the sides what it needed to grow. Path down the centre and little paths between growing areas was used to separate his plantings.

3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.49 KB
 Viewed:  27056 Time(s)

3.jpg

sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did some seaching and so far first tunnels in the uk came out the best value,we`re getting one after the new year,we decided on 12x30,with the thermal anti fog cover,looked at other sites to see what the posters there recommended and it was the same company thet came out on top,but posting to Ireland ?will have to see if it is going to make it too expensive.
ormondsview

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: which site was it? Reply with quote

Can you give me the website? Are you going to do it yourself or get a contractor. Will you let me know the details once you've estimated full build price. Here are some additional pricings from ebay uk so that you can see various models. The ones I have seen locally are the build your own types. Thanks. http://popular.ebay.co.uk/home-garden/polytunnel.htm
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one from firsttunnels in the UK. Very happy with it so far.

Photo without the doors on or plastic trimmed on this post: http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about3112.html
paul5000
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Polydome.ie make very good tunnels. Straight sided ones will give much more room
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - what are their doors like? I looked at their site when I was buying mine and the doors looked really wonky so I didn't use them.
paul5000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a steel door covered in its own polyetheen on the front very sturdy and a pvc flap at the back joined to timber posts and it stood up to 85mph plus winds no problem.
paul5000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where my tunnel is use to be a a building site as such. A large shed use to be there so i know all about gravel and concret problems. My idea was to get a ground cover kit and put in raised beds. You never know whats under your feet until you dig for foundation holes which are about 2 foot deep. will send pics.
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, steel doors? Initial picture was a safe from a bond movie Smile
sal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was first tunnels .co.uk

still havnt got it yet ,waiting for better weather and also to see if they deliver to Kerry,and the total price of course with delivery,i think dh could put up the tunnel with the help of my son and son in law to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: